Industry to visit

Advertise jobs & investment opportunities in any field
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Industry to visit

Post by RAT16F88 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:09 pm

For my academic subject Electronic Device manufacturing,We are asked to visit a local electronic industry.So I would be thankful if our members can give me information about such Industries so I can select one to visit :) :) :) :)
Regards,
SevenZero
Major
Major

Re: Industry to visit

Post by SevenZero » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:20 am

After a long time.... How are you doing? Welcome back to ROBOT.LK!

There is nothing called "Electronic Device manufacturing" in Sri Lanka and I'm wondering whether your real assignment is to find such places. If you ask a question from electronics lecturers, why all these electronic engineers are moving to software industry, I guess that has the practical answer.

Anyway, since you are one of our senior members, I'll give you this guidance. You will find it very hard to find such a place. Two big companies who maintains some standards are Motorola and Zone24. Unfortunately those are 99% in to firmware which made them also software companies. If you take MIT, there is a small team who are making displays for their stock market application. You may call them and check.

Hitech Solutions is a company formed by several engineers from UoM. So far they made several nice products to the industry automation field. But I suspect you will be able to see a proper process there as no local manufacturing company can maintain that huge cost to maintain standards. Another big issues is that local customers are not willing to pay a reasonable fee for their automation requirement. But they are ready to pay millions for foreign consultants. I'm not sure this will change in the recent future. Hitech Solutions is now moving towards buying and selling of spare parts required for factories, etc... and they have been able to acquire few valuable partnerships.

Nikini automation is another company who are in to industry automation. Lot of students are going for their industry training there especially electronics and mechanical engineering students. Again I suspect proper industry standards are practiced by them. Please call them and pay a visit on an initial meetings.

Dialog lab at UoM was doing some good projects during recent past. They received few awards as well. Since it is within your parameter, you might have a look too.

Arther C. Clerk center can be considered. They have rectified few French made locomotives which were almost retired for not having DSP knowledge. Those people have took it as a challenge and finally made the engines to work fine. In addition to that, they have so many other projects as well.

There was a company called Tandon Lanka. I'm not aware of the current situation of them.

TOS Lanka is a Japanese based assembly plant. Please contact them to see whether you can pay a visit.

There could be some more firmware guys in World Trade Centre, Colombo. But I'm not in touch with them for a long time.

Could be some more BOI export manufacturing companies. I was told that all Seagate hard disks are made here and export to Singapore. But I wasn't told about locations, etc...

Places like Sri Lanka Railways has electronic workshops where you can see repairing process of circuit boards.

I hope this would give you some idea.
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 am

yeah it's been a while, I had nothing much going to post on robot.lk. :cry: :cry:
I am sorry it was just about visiting a electronic manufacturing.I just added 'device' :| .
Actually I was frustrated :idea: about tronic guys dealing in IT stuff in career.Thanks for giving explanation for that.
I'll try to find a industry to visit with what you have mentioned :) :)
SevenZero
Major
Major

Post by SevenZero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey RAT, didn't hear from you for a while. How's life ? Have you been able to find a career in electronics locally ?
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:32 pm

hello 70,

Its been a forever bro, :D
just got the notification on my mail.
I did a pretty decent electronics based internship and then worked for around 2.5 years for a company in SL.
Should mention I was among few of the lucky ones to earn a such opportunity in the whole batch. And I am thankful for everyone, University, My employer and my peers. _/\_
I could work with robots in the making, flew few times to States with Robots, Roamed Bay area, silicon valley.. and time went by..
Now I am pursuing my Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering full time far away from home. My research is based on Deep Learning. Let's see where this would get me eventually. :D
Regards,
SevenZero
Major
Major

Post by SevenZero » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 am

I'm very happy to hear about your success. If you can share your knowledge here (just write tips and tricks, etc... when you have time) that will greatly benefit our young generation.
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 am

SevenZero wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 am
I'm very happy to hear about your success. If you can share your knowledge here (just write tips and tricks, etc... when you have time) that will greatly benefit our young generation.
I can say journey is good if you are a traveler. :) I am very happy to see the forum has grown this big. I will share things from my field. Thank you for warm welcome back to the forum. :)

Return to “Jobs & Investment Opportunities”