Fix Xperia Mini ST15i Overheating/Capacitive Buttons Issue

Droid Devices & Apps
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Fix Xperia Mini ST15i Overheating/Capacitive Buttons Issue

Post by Saman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 am

So you bought a SE Xperia Mini and you have overheating issues with the phone. This is a known issue, but there is no fix in the latest update by Sony. I’ve read they have a calibration fix at the authorized service center, but on visiting they asked me to wait for a week. Sorry I love my phone and can’t stay away from it for a week because I didn't have a backup at that moment. So here’s how I did it myself with the help of a small script from XDA.

Why do the Capacitive Buttons get Triggered Automatically?
The back and menu buttons get automatically triggered due to overheating and the sensitivity of the buttons.

The buttons are extra sensitive so they get triggered automatically when the phone gets heated when you connect the phone to a charger, computer, Wi-Fi, when calling etc.

If you have this issue, read this tutorial in which I’ll show you how to fix this issue by downgrading, rooting and then installing a small script which will fix it.

Disclaimer: Utmost care has been taken while writing this tutorial and I’ve tested every software/script involved in the process below. Flash/Root the phone at your own risk; I’m not responsible for any damages that may occur.

How to Fix Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i Overheating/Capacitive Buttons Issue
  1. Check your phones firmware version. If it is 4.0.2.A.0.42 or lower skip to- How to Root your phone.
  2. You cannot root your phone if the build no. is 4.0.2.A.0.62.
  3. If you are on 4.0.2.A.0.62- the latest update as of now, you’ll have to downgrade your phone's firmware. Here’s how to do it:
How to Downgrade SE Xperia Mini ST15i Software
  1. Register for an account at WotanServer.
  2. Now click here and then scroll to the bottom of the page and download “USB Flash Driver” and “WotanClient”.
  3. Now install the USB Flash Driver and WotanClient on your computer.
  4. Note: Make sure your phones battery is fully charged.
  5. Now open WotanClient and then follow the instructions given on the screen.
  6. Connect your phone to the PC by pressing the “Volume down Key” and then the WotanClient will automatically detect your phone.
  7. In phone settings tab click on “Enable Advanced Settings” and select “4.0.2.A.0.42” firmware and select your language and click on Next.
  8. In the settings tab enter your login credentials you used to register on the site, click update and select “Global” as FTP server.
  9. Now the update will begin and the log will be displayed in the phone processing tab.
  10. Note: Do not disconnect your phone during the update and make sure the computer power does not go off.
  11. It will take some time before your phone is updated. (Around 1 hour on broadband, depending on your Internet connection.)
  12. After the phone has successfully updated, unplug the phone from your computer and power on the phone.
How to Root Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i

Note: Rooting will void your phones warranty.
  1. Download the zergRush exploit files and extract them to a folder on your desktop.
  2. Now download the ADB drivers by clicking here and install them on your computer.
  3. Enable “Unknown Sources” from (Menu>Settings>Applications).
  4. Enable “USB Debugging” from (Menu>Settings>Applications>Development).
  5. Plug in your phone to the computer with the help of a USB cable.
  6. Skip any PC companion prompts and close it on your PC.
  7. Make sure you're logged onto your computer using a administrator account and disable antivirus protection for the time being.
  8. Open the folder where you have extracted the zergRush exploit files and open “runme.bat”.
  9. After running the file you will see a command prompt window and your phone will be rooted in less than a minute.
  10. Now power on your phone.
How to install GScript Lite and TouchPanel.sh
  1. Download and install GScript Lite from the Google Play Store.
  2. Download TouchPanel.sh.
  3. Open Gscript lite and close it, now browse your memory card and search for the folder “gscript”
  4. Now move the download touchpanel.sh file to the gscript folder.
  5. Open gscript>Menu>Add Script>Load File>Select touchpanel.sh
  6. Now your phone will switch off, power on your phone and now VOILA! The problem is gone.
  7. You may confirm it by connecting your phone to the computer and tethering it or by using Wi-Fi etc. and the problem won’t reproduce now at any temperature.
I hope Sony addresses and fixes this issue in the next/ICS update as soon as possible.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Re: Fix Xperia Mini ST15i Overheating/Capacitive Buttons Issue

Post by SemiconductorCat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm

wow nice hack.
Keep it up.

Return to “Android”