Android bluetooth communication

Droid Devices & Apps
Dushan
Corporal
Corporal

Android bluetooth communication

Post by Dushan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:38 am

I need to send 10-bit data from the Analog to digital converter(ADC) from a dsPIC at 2Mbps through UART interface, to a bluetooth module. Then the bluetooth module should read this data through its UART interface and transmit this data via bluetooth which will be finally be received by an Android phone. An application in the phone will take this data and plot a waveform on the screen.

So basically data will be sent to the phone at 2 Mbps via bluetooth. Is it practically possible for the phone to receive at 2Mbps ?

Most bluetooth modules say they can transfer data only around 300 kbps using RFCOMM protocol. To go upto 2Mbps it is needed to use the HCI protocol.
So then can the Android phone read data sent in HCI protocol ? Is there any support available ? Currently all transfers done
in Android which I found are in RFCOMM.

Is there any way either using RFCOMM or any other means for Android phone to acquire atleast 1.5 Mbps data via bluetooth ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
SevenZero
Major
Major

Re: Android bluetooth communication

Post by SevenZero » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I have seen you have discussed this before as well. All I can ask you is also to experiment with these modules. Since speed is a critical issue with your application, it is hard to tell anything without experimenting with such high speeds. In my experience with latest mobile phones (but not with Android) and bluetooth dongles that are coming for PCs, I have never seen my pictures had transferred so quickly. The speed I felt was around 300 Kbps, nothing more than that I'm sure.

So what you need to try is to find two types of similar mobile phones and measure the data rate. I doubt you can do beyond 300 kbps. Once this is finalised, you can move on to working the other end with Bluetooth chip and uC. How about that path?

Also, since this is not a commercial project, without concerning on data rate you can develop the application and include the possibility of adding high speed communication under "Future Enhancements".
justhuds

Post by justhuds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Dushan wrote: So basically data will be sent to the phone at 2 Mbps via bluetooth. Is it practically possible for the phone to receive at 2Mbps ?
I don't think that any phone is able to receive data at 2Mbps at the moment.
Charlies

Post by Charlies » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:01 pm

New smartphones can do even more...

Return to “Android”