RS-232 Serial Port Power Booster

Ask about shops here
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

RS-232 Serial Port Power Booster

Post by SemiconductorCat » Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all,
My laptop does not contain a serial port. And there are USB to serial port converters to
buy. Typically cost around 500-700Rs. But the problem is to build a ICSP programmer
it requires to drain more current from the port. If that is USB powered device then it
won't provide enough current to program the IC.

Question:
Using low speed settings on programmer will fix this problem?
I don't think that will support block erase mode at all[ EEPROMS support block based erase mode].

So I think I need a external power boasting circuity to do this.

I have found this circuit, as a alternative.

circuit:

Question [where to buy?]
But the real problem is , is there any already implemented power boasters in the market.
Don't suggest me to seek on ebay, I mean pettah local market or unity plaza.

question [ will providing power externally on the fly will work?]
is that just remove up the Vpp pin from ICSP circuit and externally provide power using a LDO
will fix the problem ?

Question.
also , if that MAX205 chip available on the market ? Where could I get it?
SevenZero
Major
Major

Re: RS-232 Serial Port Power Booster

Post by SevenZero » Sat May 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Hey Semi... I changed your title RS-232 Serial Port Power Boaster to RS-232 Serial Port Power Booster ;)

I'll ask TRONIC.LK to answer you. They are working with these for many years.
TRONICLK
Captain
Captain

Post by TRONICLK » Sat May 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi All,
Using low speed settings on programmer will fix this problem?
No, I don't think you can do that. We have tried this long time ago. Basically we found that those programmers need standard RS232 spec. 5V is not enough. This is the reason for us to for PICKIT2 and 3. I'm not doing marketing here. But I'll tell you some advantages over the serial programmer. You can directly use MPLap to program chips (no need to install external programming software such as WinPIC800). The most important thing is you can also debug your code in addition to just programming. Let me know if you need this. I'll give you a discount since you are from ROBOT.LK.
Question [where to buy?]
Not available in Sri Lanka but if you want, we can add that to our next order.
question [ will providing power externally on the fly will work?]
If you can carefully do that, it is possible. Otherwise it will blow your motherboard. So not worth to try.
also , if that MAX205 chip available on the market ? Where could I get it?
As said, you can write to TRONIC.LK on that.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Sun May 13, 2012 8:36 am

I do agree in this case PICKT2 is a very reasonable affordable price. Because USB chips are expensive,
so raw material costs are there. And products on Ebay are little bit expensive than this, because this
lacks RHoS and FC standards. [ poor country like us can't even think about RHoS and FC]. But anyway
this product can't export to countries like USA/UK , Am I correct?
And the point is because of this RHoS and FC thing, products are unbelievably going higher.

I have no sure about my mind, I need to read some manuals , and do little bit more reasearch before
I buy a particular product. I'll contract your service when I have confident mind.

And if somebody like to take the risk , I think I found the modified version of JDM programmer for
a USB-Serial converted couple.Anyone is free to try with his own risk. I didn't tried it already.
The guys from electronics.stackexchange.com and eeboard.com have tested this already BTW.

source: http://www.ubasics.com/adam/pic/icp84.html

anyone here who tried this ^ before? [ risks apply ]
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 am

SevenZero wrote:Hey Semi... I changed your title RS-232 Serial Port Power Boaster to RS-232 Serial Port Power Booster ;)

I'll ask TRONIC.LK to answer you. They are working with these for many years.
your right , sorry about the English mistake.I should be more careful about the integrity of the posts that
I make.

And yes, I think I could make the JDM programmer with external power supply, it will solve the problem
with programming ICSP compatible chips. [Programming only, please note that there are 6-wires in this ICSP originally,
the last wire is a debug wire , which is not supported with that JDM modified one].But either way, I have highly required
[there are other interfaces like ex FBUS, I need to deal with]
to buy a ready made Boosted power serial or parallel converter
If that kind of ready made stock is there in your
stock or you could import it, let me know. In that case I'm pretty straight forward to buy it.

[please note that the circuit that I've posted about does not contain a power LDO's or any transient protection ,
neither the Power Booster circuit using MAX205. So it won't make FC or RHoS standards at all].
TRONICLK
Captain
Captain

Post by TRONICLK » Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 am

I do agree in this case PICKT2 is a very reasonable affordable price.
Thanks SemiconductorCat for your kind comments.
RHoS
It is RoHS - Restriction of Hazardous Substances.

RoHS is often referred to as the lead-free directive, but it restricts the use of the following six substances:
Lead (Pb)
Mercury (Hg)
Cadmium (Cd)
Hexavalent chromium (Cr6+)
Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)
But anyway this product can't export to countries like USA/UK , Am I correct?
When RoHS isn't there, it is only that we can't use that label. But we still can export if the client prefers to buy.
However we use RoHS soldering on customers requests. However it is just a few from Europe who requested that so far ;)

With regard to FCC, this is only required for US. Equivalent in Europe is CE. There is a German customer of our who designed a circuit through us and acquired CE to sell that across Europe.

Good thing about microcontroller based boards are 99.99% comply with these standards. 0.01% is for if we use devices like relays, etc... on board.

Regarding the circuit diagram. Electronically I don't see a problem. As long as you have an external power, it should work. Do some R&D.
If that kind of ready made stock is there in your stock or you could import it, let me know. In that case I'm pretty straight forward to buy it.
Sorry this is not available. If you need we can import that. To get a price, you need to contact TRONIC.LK thorugh Contact Us page or drop in an email to [email protected]

Return to “??????? ???? ??????? (Where to buy)”