AMD Products in Sri Lanka

Ask about shops here
Herath
Major
Major

AMD Products in Sri Lanka

Post by Herath » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 pm

If anyone knows where we can buy AMD products in Sri Lanka, please add them here. I have checked Unity Plaza but could not find them other than at PC House. And It seems that PC House is the distributor for Sri Lanka. But I doubt that they still are. They used be Gigabyte distributor, but they are not now. So there is no worries about buying Gigabyte brand. :D

There are some advantages of AMD over Intel. For an instance, they do not change CPU socket every six months. :D

I am looking for a low power CPU for my next computer. I want it to draw very little power so I can leave it on for hours without having to turn it on and off all the time.(Current computer can't be put in to sleep due to some driver issue, no drivers from manufacturer-->Intel). And AMD Fusion seems to be very interesting...

http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/apu/Pages/fusion.aspx
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: AMD Products in Sri Lanka

Post by Saman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:54 am

It looks like PC HOUSE is the regional distributor (However the region is Sri Lanka... I don't know who the hell name Sri Lanka as a region :) ). PC HOUSE is very popular for messing with after sales service + warranty in the country. They have a set of dumb self named engineers who doesn't know anything about electronics. They don't even have a single graduate from a state university. Instead they employ dumb technicians and name them as engineers so they climb to the top of the tree. Everybody knows that they are the people who destroyed the meaning of valued after sales service on computer accessories.

In the other hand, PC HOUSE is a shop. Not a company. If there was no Unity Plaza, they would sell this items on the pavement. That's what deserve the best for most of the crap shops there. Those guys even doesn't know how to spell technical terms correctly. SoftLogic, Metropolitan, Abans, Singer... those are called companies.

AMD as a reputed company, must have gone through a market research on companies before taking these decisions. Companies like SoftLogic, Metropolitan, Abans, Singer must have been considered as they are already maintaining a high quality service. As long as PC HOUSE is the distributor I think the simple answer is "GO FOR INTEL". AMD can be good. But distributor is far more worst than that.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:03 am

Yes. Seems like it is going to be Intel again!. :(
Thinking about a 35W TDP Core i3 CPU. For a more silent and power efficient PC. On the other hand, most of the computer people in Sri Lanka do not know that there are CPU makers other than Intel. AMD is doing business in India, but they seem to have completely neglected Sri Lanka :evil: .

Now Gigabyte distributor is Redington Lanka Pte Ltd. And intel distributors are here. I do not think that they have retail outlets here though.

And in news.
http://www.thebottomline.lk/2009/04/01/news1.htm

Sorry for calling that Broken House a company. :D
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry for calling that Broken House a company. :D
what the ! sounds prefect by the way.

anyway , I have used a AMD processor in 2006 and it's AMD Athlon XP2600+ processor.
There wasn't Hyperthreading in AMD at that time.[I even don't know what now?].
[hyperthreading means processor can switch to another process when it hits a cache miss]
so virtually you can see little speed gap between HT enabled processor and processor without
HT. Even that existed I didn't felt much more difference between AMD and Intel that time.
The only disadvantage is it's really not a save to buy a AMD machine, because withing a year,
and if your a heavy computer user [more than 8 hrs] then that money you saved will be spend
through your current bill. AMD still have that technological weakness, that's why it's cheap.
But that doesn't mean AMD haven't have features and performance comparable with Intel.

AMD have brought ATI and they closely working with that ATI graphics technology , on the other
hand intel works with nvdia graphics technology, anyway Intel is planing to have it's gpu inside
cpu in the future.Different names, same technology.fusion is not a big deal. Nothing makes your
compute a supercomputer. I can remind how they advertised the performance of intel quickpath
technology , and we had seen so many showrooms are demonstrating saying that there is a
speed difference. But today I'm using a i3 laptop with quickpath but I actually didn't see much difference.

and about socket , Intel is changing it's socket every 6 months for a reason. They are doing lots of
benchmarks and research on the socket pins and performance and improves it again and again.
that's why have to change it. AMD have also done this, When my AMD processor had burnt due to a
electrical fluctuation I become helpless and had to throw away my AOpen Board. [now my old AOpen
board is used by one of my friend].

The Broken House guys have told me "AMD is not designed for the Sri Lankan climate , He too confirm
that with his sales experience.[that's same thing he told me when he mistakenly put the wrong power supply
cable into my SATA2USB module and costs me more than 7000/-, his experience costs me :(] that's where
fun begins, I have silently and patiently let him to continue his boasting speech to extract more fun
out of him. He don't know the thermodynamic behavior of CPU cooling. True AMD is too hot than the Intel, so that's why AMD fan is designed in a different way than the Intel Fan , it'll cost you electric bill but it has nothing to
do with sri lankan climate. Then how AMD is working at middle east countries?

So the only thing that I discourage buying AMD products is their cost won't made you a save. It's a waste
actually, withing a one year , if you add the difference of your electric bill , you'll see it.I'm using intel
i3 Acer 4741 laptop and It's 24 hours running.for a person like me buying intel was a great save. neither AMD is not
bad for our climate , but true it's a waste ,because we're burning oil to generate electricity.you'll save that
money within one year of time.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Most of your information are pretty outdated pal. :)

First to begin with, AMD CPUs never had HT and they never will. It's Intel technology.It's the simple answer. And I do not know about operating systems, because it is a 3rd year subject for me. So I can not talk about internals of OS designs. And seems like you haven't read about fusion APU. It's chip with CPU+ DX11,OpenGL 4.1 GPU in a single package. They are very low power but still powerful chips that can run 1080p videos without any problem at all.

Yes, AMD bought ATI. And now, ATI is dead. It is re-branded as AMD Graphics. AMD chip-sets now supports nVidia SLI too. Intel is already having GPU cores inside their second generation Core i series chips. Seems like you haven't heard about Sandy Bridge CPUs and Intel HD graphics. Sandy Bridge-E will be out soon and Ivy Bridges will come next year. ;) . On AMD side, people are waiting for their Bulldozer architecture based CPUs. Do you know that the North Bridge is also inside the CPU these days?. That means, memory controller, PCI-e lanes are inside the CPU. This is to reduce the latency. As i can remember, AMD was the first to do this. Quick Path Interconnect for Intel and Hyper transport for AMD are processor to NB connecting technology. I haven't read about them much after NB started to be inside the CPU.

I can't comment on socket changes. I do not have any idea on that. If there are lots of power fluctuations in your area, buy a good power stabilizer and a good power supply unit with at least passive PFC.A PSU unit with that specs is about $100 or more in local market.

AMD might produce lots of heat. I do not have any idea on that. I have only worked with a AMD Duron and it was not a big problem. If you could find a good heat sink and good thermal compound like Arctic Silver, which is my favorite, you will be able see significant results. The trick is to remove the heat at a rate close or greater than its rate of generation . Then there will be no heat for increasing temperature. That's basically it.

Laptops does not cost much power and also they are not designed to run 24/7 in my opinion. For me, it's a pain to use my laptop.

If everyone is going to buy intel, there will be no competition in the market. That is bad for the consumer. ;) .

I do not have a particular hate for Intel. But buying a good motherboard for AMD platform and a good CPU dose not cost a lot like for Intel. I am not talking about cheap Foxconn motherboards. I am talking about real motherboard from manufacturers like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc which offers great features,stability, support and value for money.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 pm

And seems like you haven't read about fusion APU. It's chip with CPU+ DX11,OpenGL 4.1 GPU in a single package.
I didn't read about APU. anyway according to what I know DX11 and OpenGL are just libraries.And they can use some
hardware support indirectly[they are not standalone with the software layers]. Todays GPU cards are not build like that. But in older days they did made as the way
you have spoken. Did you remind 3dfx cards, [that time I was at grade 7 or 8 as I could remember, and my father
have worked with a shatted wire-frame graphics package , had to wrote tons of macros when you have to
do a simple perspective projection of a simple model].Glide was not work as a library , but as a core
hardware platform when we talk about 3dfx cards. But the 3dfx time is dead due to lots of reasons now.
unlike OpenGL/DirectX which have a hardware abstraction layer 3dfx Glide only have some routines/macros
that help to avoid programer doing dangours things like chip initialization.There was no HAL in Glide.

I just read few chapters randomly from GPU GEMS[there are 6 volumes , I'll upload if you can't find them] , but me also not processing a computer graphics professional
industry level skills. please correct me if I'm wrong.But I have worked with those 3dfx cards !

In the Gforce 4 times , hardware T&L is built into the GPU,so a library like OpenGL can directly transfer matrix
math [transformations] and Lightning into the hardware level. But it still we can't say DX11 or OpenGL4.1 is a
hardware feature.It's just have supportive hardware, and there always a HAL, hardware abstraction layer unlike Glide times[that Glide time is the old but a golden /at lest silver time in GPU computing] I'm sure you wrong in that facts.

And pixel shader and vector shader hardare support have been added to when it comes to DX8, and I still didn't
dig enough to DX8 and above to talk about them. But one thing is sure DX11 never can be standalone without a
HAL ,OpenGL also, because DX8 have a HAL , which means it's necessity to DX11 card to have a HAL.

Seems like you haven't heard about Sandy Bridge CPUs and Intel HD graphics.
I didn't go through the Sandy Bridge CPU. Even they name the new microarchitecture as Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge,
the things like GPU and craming GPU into the CPU die doesn't mean it's belongs to the core. Core/microarchitecture belongs to these concepts.
*interprocessor communication /HT/threading/locking
*caching
*pipelining
*Branch Prediction(intel have spend lots of research on this)/super scalar.
..etc.
QPI is just the technology which replaces the Font Side Bus technology, so it's not belongs to the
microarchitecture.You can say it's belongs to the microarchitecture because wiki page is mentioning
QPI under the Intel Core and Nethelm microarchitectures , but at that time i read that page,info
are most outdated. Go for more clarifications....and there is no hard and fast margine which isolate the
microarchitecture.

The changes to the on DIE GPU was came with sandy bridge, but still it's not belongs to sandy bridge
microarchitecture which is developed in Israel[jews and Israel , my favourate community and country].
Please clarify and understand clearly about the terms die, core, package very clearly.
here: [just googled for ya]http://superuser.com/questions/324284/w ... nd-package
That means, memory controller, PCI-e lanes are inside the CPU. This is to reduce the latency. As i can remember, AMD was the first to do this. Quick Path Interconnect for Intel and Hyper transport for AMD are processor to NB connecting technology.
ya, but still it doesn't belongs to microarchitecture, what belongs to the microarchitecture is what's inside a core.
and communications between cores, locking and synchronization etc.

About fusion I don't know to talk about their microarchitecture in AMD, I never read a AMD system programmer's
manual since 2005.[the funeral of my AMD XP2600+ processor].But facts should be same ,they would not be
belongs to microarchitecture, but it can designed inside one die [one silicon pice] to reduce latencies.
They are very low power but still powerful chips that can run 1080p videos without any problem at all.
is that Intel Quick Sync? Never read it anyway. But intel is promising you can view a blue ray HD video with
just their integrated graphics chips , isn't that fake? :laughing: , true my i3 with Nvidia 320M GPU still
flickering when it plays a movie from a external HD Blue Ray.I don't know may be USB speed is not enough.
and even not think about that kind of super technology yet.
I can't comment on socket changes. I do not have any idea on that. If there are lots of power fluctuations in your area, buy a good power stabilizer and a good power supply unit with at least passive PFC.A PSU unit with that specs is about $100 or more in local market.
why you think they change it for a marketing reason? Even in the same microarchitecture they need to
change the pins of the package when they moving to higher speeds. Because inductance and capacitance
and therm-dynamic behavior/characteristics of processor made it necessary. Find out what's the most
valuable traces of a typical motherboard? Since QPI like technology is so dynamic , if you keep your motherboard
clean it will open more paths[virtual] to it's peers dynamically.

and about a passive filter, I want to apologize it's completely my mistake on own wiring on my room. thanks to
my own carelessness .Even after I have a filtered power supply it won't help either.you come and see my room by
yourself. :lol:
If everyone is going to buy intel, there will be no competition in the market. That is bad for the consumer. ;) .
I'm not a sales expert[who have sold 1000 fireballs to 10 customers] but when we talk about company price,
it have nothing to do with local sri lanka markert domination. because they declare prices to the international
market. If there are more than one dealer for Intel products then there will be a good competition. No need
a separate brand for that isn't it?
For me, it's a pain to use my laptop.
let me know why?
I do not have a particular hate for Intel. But buying a good motherboard for AMD platform and a good CPU dose not cost a lot like for Intel. I am not talking about cheap Foxconn motherboards. I am talking about real motherboard from manufacturers like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc which offers great features,stability, support and value for money.
Nobody hates intel or AMD. If they offer you a job opportunity do you say no? They are technologically
superior companies.The bad thing is how they plan their sales strategy. About Foxconn, it's cheap because
it's assembly lines are located in China slave camps :( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/chin ... ctory.html I don't have any intention to boycott foxconn but facts are
facts , so I decided to leave that above link.

and about Asus , i really dreamed to buy a Asus laptop, but it's too costy then i went for a ACER 4741.

AMD might produce lots of heat. I do not have any idea on that.
that's due to their technological weakness. On the other hand intel uses something called high-k meterial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-k_dielectric
[don't trust the wiki links more, I just put the google's first search for ya anyway].
so they can reduce their leak current. that way they can reduce the heat. and 32nm technology, the more
it smaller the more leak current is. There is something called power wall, [in sem III you'll learn these for sure],
and manufactures not exceed that power wall but AMD did, and it depends on the external cooling mechanism.
and with hi-k hi dielectric materials can built smaller transistors without exceeding that power wall.

take for a example core2 duo and i3 , sales ppl will told you the only difference is HT was implemented in i3
but not in core2duo, but another thing they have to say, it's power consumption was reduced by that
above mentioned new technology and smaller transistors compared to core2duo.I can really feel that , my acer
i3 lappy heats very very low.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Seems nothing like another technology fight. Hey mates, ultimately those guys earn, right. We fight here while they organise parties together :laughing:

I think the reason we must go for a product is not only because it is cheep. Price matters I know. But we need to know the features over the other (mostly not understandable since they use these nice attractive names to sell their product) at least up to some extent.

According to this nice review on AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition vs Intel Core i7-950, it shows Intel is still leading the field in terms of performance. However see how they play the game neck to neck.

For us, this technology fight never matters. What matters is how we can make things to work on these.

Regarding graphics, nVidia looks like playing a major role. I was really happy about their CUDA architecture. Better have a quick look at that and have a brief idea since it seems futuristic.

Okay...may I ask the original question now without going further off-topic? :laughing: Where can we buy AMD processors and motherboard in Sri Lanka?
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Saman wrote: Where can we buy AMD processors and motherboard in Sri Lanka?
Not in Sri Lanka. :D .
I am really not interested in replaying to Sandun reply. He is either copy pasting or typing a book directly on the reply box. He has not understood most of the points I had in my last post. And,
I am tired of these games,
I just want my happy life back
Even though most of those are lies
I just love, silence!
:mrgreen:
Hint: Eminem ;)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Herath, I couldn't stop myself submitting this part.
I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid
To take a stand, to take a stand
Everybody, everybody
Come take my hand, come take my hand

We'll walk this route together through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just lettin' you know that you're not alone
Holla if you feel like you've been down the same road
Forgive me guys, I know this is completely off topic.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

Herath, Saman , Neo.

I have buying computer parts from bambapiliyata shops since 10 years now and I'm talking with that experience that
I have. But I'm not working for any of them neither smart enough to become a engineer at Intel or AMD.
So I'm not a one who selling fire balls.I sell neither.

I'm not copying and pasting neither typing out a book.Yes but I'm depend on them for the technology, we can easily
say X company technology Z sucks! But what actually sucks is their sales plan not their technology.

Markerting ppl in the bambapiliyata city is using every big term 'QPI' , "TurboBoasting","Virtualization" , etc etc.
infront of my eyes I have seen a sales person who said "you son should go to a i7 laptop,because it have intelVT-d
technology, and he is also a university student. Why does he need intelVT-d in his laptop? as we all know it's
required to run Hyper-V like servers. IntelVT-x is almost enough to run linux inside windows or simple virtual
machine.
and EDIT: also in that laptop he wasy buying a mobil version, so either IntelVT-d is not in his processor what a
cheat :P
They are the ppl who copying from Intel AMD manuals ! you can see advertising text banners as they
are in the websites. :P

Neo, Saman and Herath[I don't know for which shop you shopping].But I'm not.and I'm not a person who is
using big TERMS like 'QPI' for my advantage.Those sales ppl are the ppl who want to use them for their advantage.
They like their customers to be good listeners , and buy everything they telling.But I personally don't like that,
I want to simplify that BIG TERM and let other to know what your buying from the market.

Yes I'm using a i3 machine but I have no intention to say "Intel Rocks !AMD sucks !" because i'm not a engineer
at intel.I'm not working for them !

So we have discussed three things here,
1. Where I can buy AMD products in Sri Lanka , and review of their sales.and their prices.etc.
2. Compare the technologies and your comment about it. [since no -one here is working for intel or amd , all are
welcome to comment on technology].
3. About the computer markert [ will absence of AMD leads Intel to dominate the whole sri Lankan computer
market]

This is not a technology fight, because I'm clearly not working for AMD or Intel, I don't think Herath is ,I don't know
ask from him.

Return to “??????? ???? ??????? (Where to buy)”