Whats next??

Introduce yourself to the world!
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Whats next??

Post by RAT16F88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi all experts,

I've passed my A/L exam this year(2010) :) .Luckily :) I can attend the Engineering faculty.But I got few questions to be solved. :( :( :(

1.what type of things(maths,languages & etc.) I got to Improve till then :?:
2.which University is best to go to my target(electronics plus Robotics) Peradeniya or Moratuwa :?: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Helps and advises :idea: of any mean is worthy to me than gold .

rat 16f88,

p.s. ;-Index no 5588987 (www.doenets.lk)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whats next??

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow... my congratz bro... I'm very proud of you. Another asset to our glorious motherland.
1.what type of things(maths,languages & etc.) I got to Improve till then
English is essential since all subjects are taught in English. Though most people who enter to university are not conversant with it, they used to learn it over the years just as the others. But if you can learn English it would be definitely advantageous. Especially mathematical terms in English like integration, differentiation, perpendicular, partial differentiation, polynomials, etc... that you already know in Sinhala.
2.which University is best to go to my target(electronics plus Robotics) Peradeniya or Moratuwa
Since your interest is on to Robotics & Electronics, I suggest Moratuwa. I just heard from a colleague that they have introduced more research labs for the electronics department recently as well.

First advise: Make sure that you do the subjects in the first year seriously. From the first year results, they select you to engineering streams. You will have to get highest marks for electronics. Unlike in A/L, you will have to compete with the best students of the island. All guys are just bright as you. So a huge competition. (This is one reason that I didn't want to go there though I passed for E1 ;) ). If you learn the subjects well, you will be able to do whatever you want.

Second advise: Do all subjects with your highest capacity throughout the 4 years and try to get a class. With a class, it is easier for you to do higher studies abroad like PhDs, etc...

Third advise: Enjoy some free time while you learn English and do scientific experiments. Because when you enter to the university, you will have to 100% concentrate on studies again.

Magneto, who is my esteemed colleague will add his comments soon. He is a bright fellow from Moratuwa University (MORA :lol:) that you can get more advises in future.

Good luck buddy !!!
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:40 pm

THANKS NEO that helps a lot.
I did A/L s in English medium .Sorry, I referred to PC languages there C++,JAVA & etc.(also I need to learn some english too :) ).
Can you please name few mathematics books to refer & also in other subjects too. :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for awaring me about Magneto. :) :)
Magneto
Major
Major

Post by Magneto » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Dear Friend ,

First congratulations for your performance on A/L

[Q1] If you want to go ahead in the field of Electronics and Telecommunication, I think best University is Moratuwa.
There are many reasons for that.

(i) Moratuwa university is the only university in Sri Lanka , which offer a Electronics and Telecommunication Degree.
( According to my knowledge Peradeniya offering the degree called Electronics and Electrical , that is mix of electronics and electrical). from Electronics and Telecommunication Degree, you can learn lots of stuff about electronic.

(2) In University of Moratuwa , Department of Electronics and Telecommunication has very young staff , who are very help full to students.

(3) With supervision of Dr Rohan ( Senior Lecture , Robotics and Control Systems) , there is a rapid advance in Robotics field in the electronic and telecommunication department. Recently opened a Laboratory called Intelligence Systems and Robotics , there students can do lots of research in the field of Robotics.

(4) When you are trying to go for job , there are lots of graduates from Moratuwa in Top Positions. And normally there is a good recognition in industry for Moratuwa graduates , rather than Peradeniy graduates. So it will easy for you,
to find a job. Only top A/L mark students can enter to the University of Moratuwa in every District. Rest are going to Peradeniy and Ruhuna.

(5) When you going to apply for a Msc or PhD, in a foreign university , after your graduation, It is easy to find scholarships for Moratuwa students compare to Peradeniy graduates. Because University of Moratuwa is well know in foreign countries compare to Peradeniya.

(6) Many Engineering professional Institutes are situated in Colombo like IESL ( Institute of Engineers Sri Lanka) , NSF ( National Science Foundation). They have seminars and lectures time to time for engineering undergraduates. So If you go Kandy , you are getting isolated from the rest of engineering word.

[Q2] IF you want to enter to the Electronics and Telecommunication Degree field , you have to get higher marks in the first year examination. All the first year exams are conducted in English medium and all the lectures are conducted in English medium. So improve your English knowledge as fas as possible. Specially get familiar with Technical words.
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Thank you Magneto for spending your precious time for me :D :D

It really helped me to get off problems I had. :D :D :D

[Q1] Was a my dream to get in there(Mrt) :) :)

(i) Thanks I didn't know it .

(2)hmm :) :) Young people make it easy to easy to cooperate with

(3)Whoops :!: :!: that's like a charm to me :) :)

(4)That's a point ;) ;) . yep

(5)MRT is well known that's good :) :)

(6)yea I also never wanted to get Isolated.

[Q2]Bro can you give some directions on what books I could follow :?: :?: :?:
Magneto
Major
Major

Post by Magneto » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Dear Friend ,

According to the university web site , first year syllabus has changed from our time. I am here with attaching a pdf file.
I think this should be your first year syllabus. I am not remember the names of the books , I refereed , when I was in first year. But what you have to done is , look at the subjects you have to study in first year in attached pdf file and read book s, which describe fundamentals about those subjects.

As a example According to the syllabus , you have a subject called Electrical Engineering. If you go to a book shop like Expographic in Pettah , you will have lots of books , which describe Electrical Engineering fundamentals.

Other good option is follow a course like City and Guilds or CEI ( Council of Engineering Institute). They are UK exams.
Just go to classes do not site for the exam. There you can learn same subjects , which you are going to learn in First year in the University. I think it is easy to learn in this way , rather than reading books. There are so many places in colombo, which conduct classes for the above exams.

Any way do not think about any thing serious ... Just doing those , while enjoy your life. Remember Life is very short :D
sylabus.pdf
(150.28 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:35 pm

congractz :)
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm

G-sparkZ wrote:congractz :)
Thank you G-sparkZ :D :D :D

Thanks Magneto for your advices that was a grate help :D :D :D cuz I got no one near me to ask about these :( :( :(
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 am

Congratulation Dear Friend
RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Nipuna wrote:Congratulation Dear Friend
Thank you buddy :) :)

Return to “Introductions”