What is the best antivirus software?

Help on cleaning Viruses, Trojans, Spyware and Adware
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is the best antivirus software?

Post by Neo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Umbrella is Avira. Not Avast.

Some facts...

Virus Bulletin is kind of an organisation who involved in standardising Anti-Virus software. You might have already heard of it.

See latest test summary. Avast have VB100 for all OSs.

Latest Comparative
Avast plays a nice role there too.

More than everything, Avast is free. I'm sure you will say, you don't want the paid version since all important features are there in Avast.

I'm a member in Virus Bulletin for many years now and I always depend on their test results. If you really trust your AV software, they have a virus file for you to test ;) (I don't recommend you to run this anyway. Why do we get unnecessary trouble for trying to prove someone else's product is good :) )

Worth to give a try.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 pm

Avast web site claims faster scanning speeds. Going to try it. It says that Avast scans at 16.3MB/s while MSSE is 6.6MB/s .

But if that's going to eat my bandwidth of 48MB/s on hard disk more, and slow down the computer. I will have to give up on it . (I want an SSD :oops: )
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Herath,
Please share your expereince for the benefit of others. I have a great trust on your word since you talk with utmost responsibility based on knowledge and intelligence. (I'm not saying other don't ;) )
Avast web site claims faster scanning speeds. Going to try it. It says that Avast scans at 16.3MB/s while MSSE is 6.6MB/s .
This is the level of standard I expect from you guys. Should argue with a concrete base. Very good information. I felt it but I even didn't know that fact.

Our aim should be to find a free Anti Virus for the community irrespective of brand names and other bogus ideas.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Did a quick test. :)
Scanned windows folder,
Size 14.9GB
Time Took 13 minutes and 53 seconds

Certianly faster than MSSE(MS security essentials). MSSE seems to scan every bit of a file. I will keep this for now.

It has a nice interface. More details about stuff.

Having advertisements might affect someone on a limited data connection. That is the only disadvantage and the only price that has to be paid for it. :)
I like it.

Return to “Viruses, Trojans, Spyware and Adware”