Power Up A DC Motor

Automobile Topics
Nipuna

Power Up A DC Motor

Post by Nipuna » Sat May 01, 2010 7:21 pm

After My A/L I'm going to make a toy Plane for that i will use a normal DC motor that use in toy cars.

Please tell me this, How to Make it to operate more powerfully? What can i do for it?

Please tell me for Plane and for Helicopter too.Please Tell me them one by one Separately Each other. Because may be i will be making them both.
Shane
Captain
Captain

Re: Power Up A DC Motor

Post by Shane » Sat May 01, 2010 11:23 pm

You can use Brushless DC Servo Motors (with high RPM) for both applications. You can use a microcontroller to control speed of these. Some theoretical factors are added below.

Brushless DC servo motors resemble a DC shunt motor turned inside out. DC servo motors feature permanent magnets, located on the rotor, or a wound rotor excited by DC voltage through slip rings, requires that the flux created by the current carrying conductors in the stator rotate around the inside of the stator in order to achieve servo motor action. The servo motor features a rotating field is obtained by placing three stator windings around the interior of the stator punching. The windings are then interconnected so that introducing a three-phase excitation voltage to the three stator windings (which are separated by 120 electrical degrees) produces a rotating magnetic field. Brushless DC servo motor construction speeds heat dissipation and reduces rotor inertia.

The Brushless DC servo motor features permanent magnet poles on the rotor, which are attracted to the rotating poles of the opposite magnetic polarity in the stator creating torque. As in the DC shunt motor, the DC servo motor offers torque, which is proportional to the strength of the permanent magnetic field and the field created by the current carrying conductors. The magnetic field in the DC servo motor stator rotates at a speed proportional to the frequency of the applied voltage and the number of poles.

The rotor rotates in synchronism with the rotating field, thus the name synchronous motor is often used to designate servo motors of this design. More recently, this servo motor design has been called an electrically commutated motor (ECM) due to its similarity to the DC shunt motor. In the DC shunt motor, the flux generated by the current carrying winding (rotor) is mechanically commutated to stay in position with respect to the field flux. In the synchronous DC servo motor, the flux of the current carrying winding rotates with respect to the stator; but, like the DC motor, the current carrying flux stays in position with respect to the field flux that rotates with the rotor. The major difference is that the synchronous DC servo motor maintains position by electrical commutation, rather than mechanical commutation.

If you can design the units with aerodynamic principles, you will be able to fly both your toy helicopter and plane.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun May 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks a Lot Friend
Magneto
Major
Major

Post by Magneto » Mon May 03, 2010 3:00 pm

(1) For particular application , you have to select the correct motor according to the application requirement.
Here application is rotating a turbine. ( which suck air from the font and push to back)
So there is no load to the motor ( as motor is not rotationg anything). And according to the Newton's Law ,
we must have high momentum change in the air to have big pull force to the plane. so we want to push air back , in very high speed. For this we have to rotate the turbine in very fast. And also it is difficult to work with AC in air plane so the our unit should battery operted.

According to above discussion , our motor should be DC motor , which have High RPM in No Load conditions
So ideal motor for this is permanent magnent motors. You can remove this from old radio cassete sets.

If you want to realy fly the plane , you have to consider the aerodynamic aspects as well. You should have to design the wings of the plane , to have low velocity on bottom side of the wings and to have high velocity on top of the wings.
For this you should have to design and make the wings , according to the aerodynamic pricipals. Otherwise your plane is never fly , even you fix very power full motor.

make sure to make the plane as low weight as possible. for every additional weight you are adding to the plane , you have to increase the rotating speed of the motor.

And finally make sure to take necessary permission from the defence officers , before you fly your plane.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Thank you very much Friend

Return to “Automobile”