how to build a drawing machine

Control Systems & Robotics Topics
Shenal

how to build a drawing machine

Post by Shenal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5L42-Z ... re=related[/media]
I'm an A/L student and I'm trying to build a drawing machine just like the above video.But not that much advance.I'm trying to build this using old broken printers.I'm building this for an exhibition at my school in September.

I need some mechanical and electromechanical advices to build this.(specially,Micro controllers available in Sri Lanka) ;)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: how to build a drawing machine

Post by Neo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:42 pm

First of all Shenal, I have to tell you that you came to the right place. ROBOT.LK will be a great resource to you. You can even ask questions in sinhala in this site. (Make sure that you introduce this to all your friends). We need more and more technology enthusiasts with us like you.

Here are some tutorials for you from this site.

(However note that almost all images of these topics are corrupted due to a server transfer and will be available within next few days as soon as net admin restore them using a manual backup. So you will have to check them in few days).

Tutorial on CNC Machines
Connecting Stepper Motors to Microcontrollers Tutorial
How to control a Stepper Motor using ULN2003 & microcontror
Connecting DC Motor to Microcontroller Tutorial - You can't connect DC motors to your project. However you will be able to use servo motors (Kind of motors with a feedback control system).

Regarding microcontroller availability... You better go for PIC 16F877A. There are lots of help around the net.
We will be with you until you make a successful completion.

Okay, first decide the micro and then disassemble the printer and make sure you have 2 stepper motors. You will need another one to fix the pen. For this, it is easier to use the stepper motor used in CD-ROM tray. You can use 3 x stepper motor control ICs (ULN2003). You will need a MAX232 IC to connect the PC to micro over the serial port.

Once we design the circuit, we can move to programming. I have put a complete article on this. See How to start with Microcontroller.
Also see Connecting your Microcontroller to PC.
Images are corrupted as I said before. Will be back shortly.

One of our members sell micros for a very reasonable fee. The postage would be around LKR 150.
16F877A - LKR 450
JDM Programmer cost - LKR 1000

dsPIC 30F4011 - LKR 1200
PICKIT3 Programmer cost - Around LKR 4500

If you like to go for Atmel, here are the once we have in our stock.
ATMega64 - LKR 1000
ATMega128 - LKR 1000
Parallel programmer can be built for around LKR 500

PM me if you need details. (PM - Personal message)

(Note that ROBOT.LK forum will never involve in any type of financial gaining)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Images are working now. Have a look.
Please do not hesitate to ask any question that you come across throughout the development of the project.

Good luck!
Shenal

Post by Shenal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank You :)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:43 pm

One of our members sell micros for a very reasonable fee. The postage would be around LKR 150.
16F877A - LKR 450
JDM Programmer cost - LKR 1000

dsPIC 30F4011 - LKR 1200
PICKIT3 Programmer cost - Around LKR 4500

Dear sir, im unable to find the cost of above programmers and also i dont need them in future because im doing this for my school exhibition, so please be good enough to inform me about a place that program our micros and the member that sells micros in sri lanka. ;)
Hi Shenal,

I understand this is for a project that you are going to put for the school exhibition. We highly encourage youngsters to do experiments and come to the field of technology.

If you think you need a donation to buy the processor and programmer, follow the guidelines below.
  1. You need to request a letter from your school principal stating that you are going to make this (specify the project title) for the coming exhibition (put dates, venue, etc...). Your principal must address the letter as below.

Website Administrator
    https://robot.lk
  2. Write a letter by you mentioning about your project and the names of students who are going to involve with this (if it is a group project) to the same address above.
  3. Scan both letters and reduce to a viewable size.
  4. Start a new topic under Board index ‹ ROBOT.LK ‹ Members Only ‹ Presents & Donations with topic title "Req. a donation: Project for school exhibition".
  5. Add your project description, items required from us and attach the letters.
  6. You need to do three things for us.
    1. Take some photos of the project while you develop and publish under the same topic.
    2. Show a banner in the exhibition hall somewhere near your project. It just says Project Funded by ROBOT.LK.org - Where Technology Meets Passion.
    3. Take some photos at the exhibition (one with our banner) as a proof of using the donated components in your project.
Since it takes time to process from our side, please let us have the information soon.

BR

Neo
Shenal

Post by Shenal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Thank You :P
PraveenAlexis

Post by PraveenAlexis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Neo, this is my friend shenal, hes the one who suggested this forum to me,
and im his partner in crime :lol: BTW thanks for your help people ;)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Dear sir,
First of all I'm very grateful to you, for your help.Earlier I thought to stop this project because my friend and me was helpless.But now we are helped by robot.lk.So I'm very happy about that.I will ready all necessary documents to get the donation and I will post them as soon as possible. :)

Thanking You,
Your sincerely,
Shenal Dabare.
As soon as you post the docs, I'll do my best to pass the donation from this end.
Shenal

Post by Shenal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 am

Thank you :P
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

Found a nice image of a 3D printer. Thought it would be helpful for you guys.
3Dprn.jpg
3Dprn.jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 24357 times
For more info, see CubeSpawn.

Return to “Control Systems & Robotics”