Web hosting, SEO, etc... related
Face
Major
Major

Why Client can't access Hosting sever Direct with out DNS

Post by Face » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:16 pm

how-dns-works.jpg
how-dns-works.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
this the way that I got the Idea about DNS,Browser,Hosting Server. (Correct me If I am wrong )

first Client (Browser) request a URL(https://robot.lk) it goes to DNS & DNS translate the URL to an IP address (192.172.1.1.) & after that browser use the IP address to locate the host server & send a request for the content.

I wanna know that why the Browser can't access the Host server using the URL to get the content?
how-dns-works 2.jpg
how-dns-works 2.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
Rksk
Major
Major

Re: Why Client can't access Hosting sever Direct with out DNS

Post by Rksk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 am

Hi,
You are here, after a long time...

Different websites are hosted in different servers worldwide. So our brower don't know where the website is hosted. It can't find the server by domain name. Then the browser requests the IP of the website (domain name) from a DNS server and connects to the IP.

That is my idea. Also google may help you, http://www.google.com/search?q=why%20dns

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 pm

yeah RKSK! After long time friend.

I didn't get my problem solved.

I am asking that Why they created DNS ? (There must be a reason for this.) Why they didn't create the way to find/locate the host server by domain name/URL ?it is easier than this.
it is like ( ???? ????? ??? ??????? ??? :( )
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I got a little idea about this after reading a few web site articles .But not a clear idea.

"Computer follows a series of steps to turn the human-readable web address into a machine-readable IP address." - this is sentence I found from a web.

I think this is created to make a Bridge between Computer & Humans. Humans are not familiar with such IP adress(Numbers) But they are good with the Names(URLs)they can easily remember Domain names than the IP address.
DNS 2.jpg
DNS 2.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
I will keep reading to make this clear. Why computer use IP adress with Web sites ? why didn't make a system to locate server By domain name.? :roll:

Don't think about me as a stupid ! I wanna to clear my question that is why I am asking for little help :)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Oh my... Face.. our old GSpark.. What has happened to you ? Anyway good to see you back.

Let me explain a bit to let you understand it clearly. It is very simple.

Say you are typing www.face.com. Then the browser contacts the DNS server (most probably this is the DNS server provided by your ISP) configured in your computer.

If you are using ADSL, then this is probably something like 203.115.0.xxx that belongs to SLT. DNS server are live servers. Those are never switched off. So they work 24/7/365 continuously looking for more name/IP matches and updating the internal database.

Every DNS server has an internal database. As I said before, all the time DNS servers are looking for new Name/IP combinations and update the internal database.

It is a known fact the your router can reach the ISP's DNS server faster than it reaches a DNS server in USA. Is this clear to you? It is because, you are connected to your ISP's network through a WAN IP.

Okay... now think, in case there is only one DNS server in the world in USA, how congested it would be? Billions of machines request new domain->IP translations every second which the server can't simply handle. This is the reason for keeping the DNS servers distributed.

You can also start your own DNS server. If you have static IP, you can install a server OS and then install a DNS. Then you can ask people to use your DNS server. Your DNS server will become intelligent day by day with all new websites<->IPs introduced everyday. But there will be no financial benefit for you other than a list of available domains in the world :)
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Hello NEO good to see you also. I was busy with Accounts,commerce etc (Yak I don't like such :P)

Any way Boss I got little clear about DNS.But not clear my question.I was strugling wny DNS servers needed ? Why can't we make a system to access the hosting server direct with out DNS ? It is a short path to reach Hosting server than the present way with DNS servers ? :O

this might be lack of understanding of my knowledge facts.But I will keep reading to make this clear !
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:03 am

There is a little clarification to your image. It should be as follows.
how-dns-works.jpg
how-dns-works.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
When you request a page as "www.epxertcore.org/viewtopic.php?t=1234", the browser extract the domain name and send to DNS to get the IP. Then the browser passes the data packet with HTTP request to that IP. Within that HTTP request, we have the whole address, so that the web server running in that IP will intercept the packet and divert to the correct virtual host. A single web server can be used to host many web sites (domains). For example, if you take our current server, ROBOT.LK.org, Expertcore.com, all are in one server. Web server is the one understands this using the HTTP request and direct it to get correct data.

Domain to IP table is just one thing a DNS does. It uses CNAME record type to define this. Do you know that it is possible to keep website in one server and email on another ? It is possible through MX record of the DNS server. So under a domain name such as robot.lk, we can define where our web files are hosted using CNAME and where the emails should go using MX record. Have a look at list of DNS records. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types

If DNS servers are not there, the world will be only with IPs. No multiple domains couldn't be running in a single IP, etc... Not only that, you would have to memorize numbers. Or else, you need to program the browser to have this database locally which billions of sites would make it take hours to download a browser software such as Firefox.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgc-Yqf_Tt4[/media]
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks NEO.Now I am clear enough about this. But the video is little complex to me :( (Because of my bad English ) anyway thanks a lot brother. Is there any comment about this with you guys,please continue updating.

Return to “Web Related”