How to use sql query result in a web service?

Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How to use sql query result in a web service?

Post by Trebor29 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Guys...

Im building an ASP.Net payment application to demonstrate application security but have hit an obstacle already!

I have created users (locally) and have bank accounts in a web service to simulate the bank as an external entity. Before the users payment is approved I want to check their account (on the web service) for sufficient funds before proceeding. The users Card number is pulled from a db and passed over (with the payment amount) to the bank (web service) and there another query takes place i.e. "gets AccountBalance from BankAccTable where CardNumber = cn"...

Im building this application in VS2010, and in the Query Builder this returns the correct result. However, I have only ever done something similar where I displayed the result in a Gridview, which works also... but now I need to do this programmatically, receiving the result in the web service so I can do the check and return an "insufficient funds" msg, or proceed to deduct the PaymentAmount and update the db record... (The amount will then be passed to another WS simulating the merchants bank account, to be update.. but thats later, one step at a time!).

I think I need to hold the result somewhere i.e. DataSet / DataTable, do what I need to do and then re-insert the updated Row, but everything Ive been trying isn't working! I keep getting the "TableName" not the query result! :roll:

PAYMENT.ASPX.CS

Code: Select all

protected void ButtonPayNow_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["UserConnectionString"].ConnectionString);
        con.Open();
        string cmdStr = "SELECT PaymentPIN FROM UserTable WHERE EmailAddress= '" + TextBoxPayEmail.Text + "'";
        SqlCommand accVerify = new SqlCommand(cmdStr, con);
        string payPIN = Convert.ToString(accVerify.ExecuteScalar());
        if (TextBoxPIN.Text == payPIN)
        {
            // TextBoxPayEmail.Text = "Success..!";

// Retrieve users bank info.
            SqlConnection con2 = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["UserBankDatabaseConnectionString"].ConnectionString);
            con2.Open();
            string cmdStr2 = "SELECT CardNumber FROM UserBankTable WHERE EmailAddress= '" + TextBoxPayEmail.Text +"'";
            SqlCommand CardNum = new SqlCommand(cmdStr2, con2);
            string cardNum = Convert.ToString(CardNum.ExecuteScalar());

// Check bank for funds.
            BankHost.Service BankWS = new BankHost.Service();
            double payAmount = double.Parse(TextBoxPayAmount.Text);
            string balance = Convert.ToString(BankWS.checkAccBalance(cardNum, payAmount));
        }
        else
        {
            TextBoxPayEmail.Text = "Didnt work..!";
        }
BANK WEBSERVICE.CS

[WebMethod] // Check for funds
    public DataSet1.BankAccTableDataTable  checkAccBalance(string cn, double paySum)
    {
        DataSet1TableAdapters.BankAccTableTableAdapter ta = new DataSet1TableAdapters.BankAccTableTableAdapter();
        return ta.GetBalanceData(cn);
    }
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This is my attempt at getting the "AccountBalance" but it didnt work, returns the same result "TableName" (BankAccTable).
BANK WEBSERVICE.CS

public string checkAccBalance(string cn, double pa)
    {
        DataSet1TableAdapters.BankAccTableTableAdapter ta = new DataSet1TableAdapters.BankAccTableTableAdapter();

string bal = ta.GetBalanceData(cn).ToString();

return bal;
    }
Im not 100% sure what exactly is wrong, so its hard to put a search into Google to find the answer! :?

Any help will be much appreciated.. Than you!
Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: How to use sql query result in a web service?

Post by Trebor29 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:38 am

Quick update:

I have now managed to get the "AccountBalance" and store it into a dataSet.. but I still cannot get my hands on the numerical (Type) value, in this case its 5000.00, to be able to deduct the payAmount and return the updated 'balance' to the db.

I have tried Convert.ToDouble() / double.Parse() / .ToString() but it doesnt like it!

Does anyone know how I can do this? Thank you!

public DataSet checkAccBalance(string cn, double paySum)
    {

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["TheBankDBConnectionString"].ConnectionString);
        DataSet ds = new DataSet();
        SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter();
        adapter.SelectCommand = new SqlCommand("SELECT AccountBalance FROM BankAccTable WHERE CardNumber= '"+ cn +"'", con);
        adapter.Fill(ds, "BankAccTable");

string balance = ds.ToString();
        if (double.Parse(balance) >= paySum)
        {
            double newBalance = double.Parse(balance) - paySum;

}

return ds;  
    }

Do I need to do a foreach?

foreach (DataRow dr in DataSet ds)
{
     // There will only be one recored
       double balance = double.Parse(dr[0]); OR dr[0].ToDouble();  // Im just guessing now!  :!: 
}
Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trebor29 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Anyone interested, this works:

double balance = Convert.ToDouble(ds.Tables[0].Rows[0]["AccountBalance"].ToString());
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Okay... good to see you got it sorted out and reported as well. Well done!!!
Try and try, one day you will fly ;)
Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Trebor29 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 pm

And that day can't come soon enough....! :yahoo:

Return to “ASP & ASP.Net”