Dijkstra's Algorithm (with Video Tutorial and source code)

Data structures & algorithms topics
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dijkstra's Algorithm (with Video Tutorial and source code)

Post by Neo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Dijkstra's Algorithm
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ls1RqHCOPw[/media]

Dijkstra's algorithm, conceived by Dutch computer scientist Edsger Dijkstra in 1959,[1] is a graph search algorithm that solves the single-source shortest path problem for a graph with non-negative edge path costs, producing a shortest path tree. This algorithm is often used in routing. An equivalent algorithm was developed by Edward F. Moore in 1957.

For a given source vertex (node) in the graph, the algorithm finds the path with lowest cost (i.e. the shortest path) between that vertex and every other vertex. It can also be used for finding costs of shortest paths from a single vertex to a single destination vertex by stopping the algorithm once the shortest path to the destination vertex has been determined. For example, if the vertices of the graph represent cities and edge path costs represent driving distances between pairs of cities connected by a direct road, Dijkstra's algorithm can be used to find the shortest route between one city and all other cities. As a result, the shortest path first is widely used in network routing protocols, most notably IS-IS and OSPF (Open Shortest Path First).

Algorithm
Let the node we are starting be called an initial node. Let a distance of a node Y be the distance from the initial node to it. Dijkstra's algorithm will assign some initial distance values and will try to improve them step-by-step.
  1. Assign to every node a distance value. Set it to zero for our initial node and to infinity for all other nodes.
  2. Mark all nodes as unvisited. Set initial node as current.
  3. For current node, consider all its unvisited neighbours and calculate their distance (from the initial node). For example, if current node (A) has distance of 6, and an edge connecting it with another node (B) is 2, the distance to B through A will be 6+2=8. If this distance is less than the previously recorded distance (infinity in the beginning, zero for the initial node), overwrite the distance.
  4. When we are done considering all neighbours of the current node, mark it as visited. A visited node will not be checked ever again; its distance recorded now is final and minimal.
  5. Set the unvisited node with the smallest distance (from the initial node) as the next "current node" and continue from step 3.
Description
Suppose you want to find the shortest path between two intersections on a map, a starting point and a destination. To accomplish this, you could highlight the streets (tracing the streets with a marker) in a certain order, until you have a route highlighted from the starting point to the destination. The order is conceptually simple: at each iteration, create a set of intersections consisting of every unmarked intersection that is directly connected to a marked intersection, this will be your set of considered intersections. From that set of considered intersections, find the closest intersection to the destination (this is the "greedy" part, as described above) and highlight it and mark that street to that intersection, draw an arrow with the direction, then repeat. In each stage mark just one new intersection. When you get to the destination, follow the arrows backwards. There will be only one path back against the arrows, the shortest one.

Pseudocode
In the following algorithm, the code u := vertex in Q with smallest dist[], searches for the vertex u in the vertex set Q that has the least dist value. That vertex is removed from the set Q and returned to the user. dist_between(u, v) calculates the length between the two neighbor-nodes u and v. The variable alt on line 13 is the length of the path from the root node to the neighbor node v if it were to go through u. If this path is shorter than the current shortest path recorded for v, that current path is replaced with this alt path. The previous array is populated with a pointer to the "next-hop" node on the source graph to get the shortest route to the source.

Code: Select all

function Dijkstra(Graph, source):
      for each vertex v in Graph:           // Initializations
          dist[v] := infinity               // Unknown distance function from source to v
          previous[v] := undefined          // Previous node in optimal path from source
      dist[source] := 0                     // Distance from source to source
      Q := the set of all nodes in Graph
      // All nodes in the graph are unoptimized - thus are in Q
      while Q is not empty:                 // The main loop
          u := vertex in Q with smallest dist[]
          if dist[u] = infinity:
              break                         // all remaining vertices are inaccessible from source
          remove u from Q
          for each neighbor v of u:         // where v has not yet been removed from Q.
              alt := dist[u] + dist_between(u, v)
              if alt < dist[v]:             // Relax (u,v,a)
                  dist[v] := alt
                  previous[v] := u
      return dist[]
If we are only interested in a shortest path between vertices source and target, we can terminate the search at line 11 if u = target. Now we can read the shortest path from source to target by iteration:

S := empty sequence
 u := target
 while previous[u] is defined:
     insert u at the beginning of S
     u := previous[u]
Now sequence S is the list of vertices constituting one of the shortest paths from target to source, or the empty sequence if no path exists.

A more general problem would be to find all the shortest paths between source and target (there might be several different ones of the same length). Then instead of storing only a single node in each entry of previous[] we would store all nodes satisfying the relaxation condition. For example, if both r and source connect to target and both of them lie on different shortest paths through target (because the edge cost is the same in both cases), then we would add both r and source to previous[target]. When the algorithm completes, previous[] data structure will actually describe a graph that is a subset of the original graph with some edges removed. Its key property will be that if the algorithm was run with some starting node, then every path from that node to any other node in the new graph will be the shortest path between those nodes in the original graph, and all paths of that length from the original graph will be present in the new graph. Then to actually find all these short paths between two given nodes we would use a path finding algorithm on the new graph, such as depth-first search.

Sample C++ implementation
Classes

vector<Node*> nodes;
vector<Edge*> edges;

class Node
{
public:
	Node(char id)
		: id(id), previous(NULL),
		distanceFromStart(INT_MAX)
	{
		nodes.push_back(this);
	}
public:
	char id;
	Node* previous;
	int distanceFromStart;
};

class Edge
{
public:
	Edge(Node* node1, Node* node2, int distance)
		: node1(node1), node2(node2), distance(distance)
	{
		edges.push_back(this);
	}
	bool Connects(Node* node1, Node* node2)
	{
		return (
			(node1 == this->node1 &&
			node2 == this->node2) ||
			(node1 == this->node2 &&
			node2 == this->node1));
	}
public:
	Node* node1;
	Node* node2;
	int distance;
};
Code to construct a simple test graph

void DijkstrasTest()
{
	Node* a = new Node('a');
	Node* b = new Node('b');
	Node* c = new Node('c');
	Node* d = new Node('d');
	Node* e = new Node('e');
	Node* f = new Node('f');
	Node* g = new Node('g');

Edge* e1 = new Edge(a, c, 1);
	Edge* e2 = new Edge(a, d, 2);
	Edge* e3 = new Edge(b, c, 2);
	Edge* e4 = new Edge(c, d, 1);
	Edge* e5 = new Edge(b, f, 3);
	Edge* e6 = new Edge(c, e, 3);
	Edge* e7 = new Edge(e, f, 2);
	Edge* e8 = new Edge(d, g, 1);
	Edge* e9 = new Edge(g, f, 1);

a->distanceFromStart = 0; // set start node
	Dijkstras();
	PrintShortestRouteTo(f);

// Node / Edge memory cleanup snipped
}
dijkstras-graph.gif
dijkstras-graph.gif (3.38 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
Dijkstras algorithm implementation

void Dijkstras()
{
	while (nodes.size() > 0)
	{
		Node* smallest = ExtractSmallest(nodes);
		vector<Node*>* adjacentNodes =
			AdjacentRemainingNodes(smallest);

const int size = adjacentNodes->size();
		for (int i=0; i<size; ++i)
		{
			Node* adjacent = adjacentNodes->at(i);
			int distance = Distance(smallest, adjacent) +
				smallest->distanceFromStart;

if (distance < adjacent->distanceFromStart)
			{
				adjacent->distanceFromStart = distance;
				adjacent->previous = smallest;
			}
		}
		delete adjacentNodes;
	}
}
Supporting functions

// Find the node with the smallest distance, remove it, and return it.
Node* ExtractSmallest(vector<Node*>& nodes)
{
	int size = nodes.size();
	if (size == 0) return NULL;
	int smallestPosition = 0;
	Node* smallest = nodes.at(0);
	for (int i=1; i<size; ++i)
	{
		Node* current = nodes.at(i);
		if (current->distanceFromStart <
			smallest->distanceFromStart)
		{
			smallest = current;
			smallestPosition = i;
		}
	}
	nodes.erase(nodes.begin() + smallestPosition);
	return smallest;
}

// Return all nodes adjacent to 'node' which are still in the 'nodes' collection.
vector<Node*>* AdjacentRemainingNodes(Node* node)
{
	vector<Node*>* adjacentNodes = new vector<Node*>();
	const int size = edges.size();
	for(int i=0; i<size; ++i)
	{
		Edge* edge = edges.at(i);
		Node* adjacent = NULL;
		if (edge->node1 == node)
		{
			adjacent = edge->node2;
		}
		else if (edge->node2 == node)
		{
			adjacent = edge->node1;
		}
		if (adjacent && Contains(nodes, adjacent))
		{
			adjacentNodes->push_back(adjacent);
		}
	}
	return adjacentNodes;
}

// Return distance between two connected nodes
int Distance(Node* node1, Node* node2)
{
	const int size = edges.size();
	{
		Edge* edge = edges.at(i);
		if (edge->Connects(node1, node2))
		{
			return edge->distance;
		}
	}
	return -1; // should never happen
}

// Does the 'nodes' vector contain 'node'
bool Contains(vector<Node*>& nodes, Node* node)
{
	const int size = nodes.size();
	{
		if (node == nodes.at(i))
		{
			return true;
		}
	}
	return false;
}
Code that prints out route

void PrintShortestRouteTo(Node* destination)
{
	Node* previous = destination;
	cout << "Distance from start: "
		<< destination->distanceFromStart << endl;
	while (previous)
	{
		cout << previous->id << " ";
		previous = previous->previous;
	}
	cout << endl;
}
Visual C++ Express Solution project