8x8 LED Matrix

Technical assistance & information for projects
dushancc
Corporal
Corporal

8x8 LED Matrix

Post by dushancc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 am

I bought 4 8x8 LED matrix modules from TRONIC.LK.

I also bought 4 max7219 driver chips for each matrix. As testing I hooked up one matrix to a 7219 chip. As there were no documentation related to the matrix, I wired it up according to the following tutorial.
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11516

I did it twice but with no success I also tried arduino direct drive tutorial.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix

Unfortunately :cry: :cry: they both give me same exact output. The lights turn on the the rows begin to flicker. Just it. No letters or patterns. Can anyone give me a help to make this thing work :) ;)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 8x8 LED Matrix

Post by Neo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 am

Hello Dushan,

There could be many reasons.

1. Wiring issue
2. Timing (frequency) issue
etc...

First of all, can you use a 3V to power up the matrix to understand wiring diagram properly. Then integrate this to your Arduino board and enable each pin at a time. Later on you can use the Arduino direct drive example with proper frequency settings on the library to write to each row or column in about 30 or 60 frames per seconds. So the picture would become clear to the you.

Give us your feedback.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

First recheck your wiring diagram.
Do you know how to recheck a wiring diagram with schematic in industry level? If no do a google research.
(Check every node , branch , make a list and tick it.)

Sounds familiar the situation.I think your MAX chip get reset every every cycle it feeds the row. This may happen
to transient current spikes taken by LED matrix. Try increasing the capacitors near MAX chip. if not working feedback.
dushancc
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dushancc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Thank you for your replies. I checked it again and I got to know that pin arrangement of cathodes and anodes differ from matrix from matrix. Finally I found the correct pin layout suitable for matrix I bought from TRONIC.LK. It was a success :clap: But now there is another problem :? . When I upload the code in to the arduino it displays 2 characters "A" and "r". but then suddenly it vanishes off. I can again get the "A" character to be displayed by only pressing reset.

Please help me to get this thing work continuously. 8-)

Thank you
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Try to use MaxMatrix library. That seems robust.
dushancc
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dushancc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Thank you very much. I got it to work. It was just a breadboard problem. I am currently doing well with LedControl library. I'll check your library too.

Thank you
OtisMorales

Post by OtisMorales » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

dushancc wrote:I bought 4 8x8 LED matrix modules from TRONIC.LK.

I also bought 4 max7219 driver chips for each matrix. As testing I hooked up one matrix to a 7219 chip. As there were no documentation related to the matrix, I wired it up according to the following tutorial.
I did it twice but with no success I also tried arduino direct drive tutorial.

Unfortunately :cry: :cry: they both give me same exact output. The lights turn on the the rows begin to flicker. Just it. No letters or patterns. Can anyone give me a help to make this thing work :) ;)
Lights looks good but were you able to sort out the issue? I am looking to get similar lights so are these lights effective?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Return to “Project Assistance”