4th Dimension

Technical assistance & information for projects
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

4th Dimension

Post by Rasanja » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm

hey guys ...as some of you may know, we are having a science exhibition in Royal College Colombo 07. And I'm exhibiting two items
01) Night Vision Goggles
02) A presentation explaining the 4th Dimension :ugeek:
So I thought of giving the explanation over here in the forum so that you guys might learn something from it , and if I get something wrong please do correct me ,

So its like this , In a 1D world there is only one dimension : length ...as in a simple straight line, just like a side look of a piece of paper (*without considering the thickness of it*) So If there was a living being or an entity (hypothetically speaking ;) ) inside of that line it could only move forwards and backwards .

then comes 2D , a 2D world implies that there are two dimensions : length and width ,
a 2D world is made out of several number of 1D worlds put together side by side ..think of it as this : if you draw a line and then draw another line next to it and keep doing that for a while you would end up making a rectangle ,which have both width and a length. so an A4 sheet is made out of infinite number of lines (1D worlds ) combined together .
if there was a living being inside of it ,it could move ,forwards ,backwards,left ,right ..

then comes 3D(our world) , in a 3D world there's width , height, and length..a 3D world is made out of several number of
2D worlds. just like a book .a book(3D world) is a collection of papers(2D worlds) .if there was a living being inside of it ,
if can move in any direction : forwards ,backwards,up,down ,left ,right ..

SO HOW IS A 4D WORLD CREATED ??? :shock: ... like before , its a compilation of 3D worlds .
but you cant just put one 3D world atop another to make a 4D world , then It'd be like building blocks .you would end up with another bigger 3D object ! :| you have to assemble them in the forth direction. even before if you kept combining a line at the end of another line ,it'd make a longer line ...NOT a 2D object ..and if you kept placing papers aside papers you'd only have a larger paper , not a 3D object ..the reason you got those correct objects is because you assembled them in a higher direction . :clap:

in order for you to understand this , consider this . a line is the basic 1D object , A square is the basic 2D object ,a cube is the basic 3D object , and a hypercube (Tesseract) is the basic 4D object .follow this link to have a look at it and to find out how its made
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccws454YiVM[/media]

Consider : 2D creatures (entities or any living being) can only see in one dimension, if you draw a line on a paper and placed a dot in front of it (consider the dot as the 2D creature) the dot can only see one side of the line , it cant see the other side ,but since we are looking from above ,we can see all the sides and all the angles.
similarly 3D creatures can only see things in 2D . YES !! THOUGH YOU THINK THAT YOU SEE IN 3D ! YOU DON'T !
the reason that we can tell that something is 3D is because ..hmmm if you looked at a boll the reason that you can that it is a ball and not a circle is because the contrast of the light (hue , brightness , etc) .the light is brighter in middle and gets slightly darker at the edges.
how do you tell that the ball is either near to you or far way from you ??? if the ball gets smaller than the original size its getting away from you , if it keeps growing its getting closer to you . thats the basic concept we all know. but what if the ball kept GROWING as it went further away from you ? you wouldn't realize that its moving , you would think that its still where it was before , this is because we see things in 2D in a 3D world.
just like this : if you took a rubber thread and place it on a paper . put a dot in front of it (the dot is the 2D creature ) .then while you take the rubber thread faraway from the paper if you expand by pulling from the ends , the 2D creature will not realize that the rubber thread is moving, because its increasing by the size as it gets further ..but we see what really happens , because we see the 2D world in 2D ...so as the 2D creature sees his 2D world in 1D we see our 3D world in 2D .. :D
if a 4D creature looked across a 3D world he would see all the angles ,sides everything as they are ...not like us , if it looked at a cube he'd see all the sides of the cube at once in a single glance ...

NOW theres another theory saying that the 4th dimension is TIME , this is a common misconception.now if we take how each of these worlds are created , there's a noticeable sequence ...one spacial dimension is connected to another .
but TIME is not spacial is it ??? so that doesn't make any sense at all . if 4D was time , then that dimension is special from the rest , that cant be ....as it happens there are an infinite number of dimensions , but if the 4th dimension was time the sequence would break and that'd be the last dimension .

AS a fact dimensions are within one another, 1D is inside 2D , 2D is inside 3D ,and inside 3D all the other lower dimensions can be seen (1D and 2D) , and 3D should be inside 4D .....but if the 4th dimension is time , we wouldn't see the other dimensions inside "time" and you cant find 3D inside time ...SO that proves that the 4th dimension is spacial , and not time .............. :clap: :yahoo: :clap: :yahoo: :biggrin:

thats my explanation !! please leave your comment on this , it would help me alot . thanks ! :geek:
Last edited by Rasanja on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: 4th Dimension

Post by Rasanja » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

if 4D was time , the that dimension is spacial from the rest , that cant be ..
hehehe spelling mistake , i meant " if 4D was time , theN that dimension is special lolz
PraveenAlexis

Post by PraveenAlexis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 pm

you can use "edit" button ;) this is not facebook :lol:

BTW, wow very nice 4D lecture, +REP 4 SURE, ;)

also use, [media] [/media](put the link between these tags) tags to post a video.
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Rasanja » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 pm

PraveenAlexis wrote:you can use "edit" button ;) this is not facebook :lol:

BTW, wow very nice 4D lecture, +REP 4 SURE, ;)

also use, [media] [/media](put the link between these tags) tags to post a video.

hahahahaha i didnt notice that .......lol .thanks for pointing that out mate :!: lolz and thank you :oops:
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm

There are some correct points in your explanation but some are not considered correct in the modern scientific world.

There is an abstract (hypothetical) concept called 4 dimensional space. Read the following explanation taken from wiki.
In mathematics, four-dimensional space ("4-D") is an abstract concept derived by generalizing the rules of three-dimensional space. It has been studied by mathematicians and philosophers for almost two hundred years, both for its own interest and for the insights it offered into mathematics and related fields.

Algebraically it is generated by applying the rules of vectors and coordinate geometry to a space with four dimensions. In particular a vector with four elements (a 4-tuple) can be used to represent a position in four-dimensional space. The space is a Euclidean space, so has a metric and norm, and so all directions are treated as the same: the additional dimension is indistinguishable from the other three.

In modern physics, space and time are unified in a four-dimensional Minkowski continuum called spacetime, whose metric treats the time dimension differently from the three spatial dimensions.[clarification needed] Spacetime is thus not a Euclidean space.
So don't get confused that 4D space with 4th dimension. 4D space is just an abstract concept where you can do algebraic calculations just as you do in 3D space.

Without proper knowledge in general & special theory of relativity and spacetime theory it is not easy to grab the concept of 4th dimension as time. This is taught in detail in 2nd, 3rd and 4th years in universities under physics. Spacetime theory is considered correct with some modern scientific experiments. It suggests that Time comes to existence with gravity which is produced by Mass. When there is no Mass, there isn't anything called Time. Since this is very close to what Buddha explained quite a long time ago, Einstein stated the following phrase. Added them for your knowledge.
The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.
- Albert Einstein – Farther of Modern Science

A human being is part of the whole, called by us ‘Universe’; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest–a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security.
- Albert Einstein – Farther of Modern Science
If you are interested in learning on these, you can read following wiki pages.

Spacetime
In physics, spacetime (or space-time, space time) is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space as being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort from the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. By combining space and time into a single manifold, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.
Introduction to mathematics of general relativity
High-precision test of general relativity by the Cassini space probe: radio signals sent between the Earth and the probe (green wave) are delayed by the warping of space and time (blue lines) due to the Sun's mass. That is, the Sun's mass causes the regular grid coordinate system (in blue) to distort and have curvature. The radio wave then follows this curvature and moves toward the Sun.
This is where the spacetime theory of Prof. Albert Einstein is considered correct.

In conclusion, according to the current scientific explanations universe consists of 3D space + Time. So time is generally referred as the 4th dimension.
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Rasanja » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 pm

thanks for the feed back ! honestly now Im a bit confused , :shock: :shock: :shock: So
NOW theres another theory saying that the 4th dimension is TIME , this is a common misconception.now if we take how each of these worlds are created , there's a noticeable sequence ...one spacial dimension is connected to another .
but TIME is not spacial is it ??? so that doesn't make any sense at all . if 4D was time , then that dimension is special from the rest , that cant be ....as it happens there are an infinite number of dimensions , but if the 4th dimension was time the sequence would break and that'd be the last dimension .

AS a fact dimensions are within one another, 1D is inside 2D , 2D is inside 3D ,and inside 3D all the other lower dimensions can be seen (1D and 2D) , and 3D should be inside 4D .....but if the 4th dimension is time , we wouldn't see the other dimensions inside "time" and you cant find 3D inside time ...SO that proves that the 4th dimension is spacial , and not time ..............
this part is entirely wrong ??? :? then can you please in your words distinguish the contrast between my explanation on the 4th dimension and the actual one !! Im really confused here , and I know a bit about the relativity theory (including the stuff about the atomic watch etc) but im not thorough with the text , please do shed light on the subject :)
PraveenAlexis

Post by PraveenAlexis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

hahaha i tried drowning that hypercube :clap: and i drew it successfully :yahoo: not this one, the above one that rasanja posted ;)

also watch this
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0SGPHcAIcw[/media]
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 pm

can you please in your words distinguish the contrast between my explanation on the 4th dimension and the actual one
Refer this part in my note.

Spacetime
In physics, spacetime (or space-time, space time) is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space as being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort from the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. By combining space and time into a single manifold, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.
Spacetime is usually interpreted with space as being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort from the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

This is what Prof. Albert Einstein had explained on his SpaceTime theory.

If you want to take a clear idea on what is SpaceTime, you would read the famous Twin paradox.
In physics, the twin paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity, in which a twin makes a journey into space in a high-speed rocket and returns home to find he has aged less than his identical twin who stayed on Earth. This result appears puzzling because each twin sees the other twin as travelling, and so, according to a naive application of time dilation, each should paradoxically find the other to have aged more slowly. In fact, the result is not a paradox in the true sense, since it can be resolved within the standard framework of special relativity. The effect has been verified experimentally using measurements of precise clocks flown in air planes and satellites.
Gravitational time dilation is another proof of spacetime theory.

Guys here were talking about famous Time Travelling some time back. Have a look at Time Travelling.
I know a bit about the relativity theory
I guess you are a A/L school student? Please talk to your Physics master for a better explanation on Spacetime theory. I don't like to make you confused further ;)
However if you don't know what exactly you are talking about, just don't do it. Science is about concepts with proofs. If there is no proof, it is considered a made up lie :lol: (at least until someone prove the existence of that).
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Rasanja » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:22 pm

I guess you are a A/L school student? Please talk to your Physics master for a better explanation on Spacetime theory. I don't like to make you confused further
However if you don't know what exactly you are talking about, just don't do it. Science is about concepts with proofs. If there is no proof, it is considered a made up lie
its a good thing that i posted this before I made the presentation , Im still trying to process this ....it'd be great if you could provide me more video links and tutorials that'd help me to wrap my head around it, and break it down to bite size pieces for the exhibition ,
Physics master for a better explanation on Spacetime theory
oh and the bad news is , we're on vacation ..so i have no way of getting in touch with teachers , can't ask tuition class teachers either , they have more important stuff to worry about , even if they didnt It highly unlikely that they'd step up to give me a helping hand , so thats why im here :? , hope im not bugging you guys
Rasanja
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Rasanja » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

well i found some videos explaining these phenomenons

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rl3Z9yCTn8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsKlSnU ... re=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6o_-yTa ... re=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOPq9rZ ... re=related[/media]

:yahoo: :clap: :yahoo: :clap: :yahoo: :clap:

Return to “Project Assistance”