Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) review

Recommend, complain or review vendors, products, brands, etc...
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) review

Post by Saman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I bought a 1 TB Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (From WinSoft, Unity Plaza) for LKR 13800 yesterday. When I have connected that to my back panel USB ports, it keep on restarting when I try to copy some considerable amount of files. I wasn't happy but I already knew that Seagate is one of the best hard drives in the world so an external drive must be in that quality as well.

Then I connected that to my laptop and it worked. I copied GBs of data without any issue. I knew there can be power issues for external devices when connected to USB ports. However, since my PC was working in superb condition, I never suspected that it is running without adequate power. Who suspect our own friends :lol:

I replaced the power unit with a Mercury 450W one (Bought from Digital house). I heard Mercury is better than other OEM unbranded units (even my earlier one was marked as 450W as well). After this, Seagate external hard drive started work like a charm as well. It is now coping files in lightening speed which made me happy to share this information with you.

WinSoft technical guys were really okay. When I wanted them to have a look at it by thinking there is a manufacture fault, they have given it top priority and copied GBs of data in-front of me. Some people are too lazy to do these things. So I'm really satisfied with their service and highly recommend Seagate Expansion Portable Drives. I also would like to recommend Mercury Power Units. Seems they provide the power as marked in the label.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) review

Post by Saman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Another note... There is a Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 1TB USB3 (10 times faster than USB 2) external hard drive with 3 year warranty for LKR 14250. I have good experience with Transcend brand. Their memory cards and USB sticks were fantastic. However since Transcend hasn't got any good name as a hard drive manufacturer such as Western Digital, Seagate or Samsung, it is a risk to buy that one. However 3 year warranty is not available with other manufacturers.

The same thing for Imation external hard drives. Though they have a good name as a optical disk and memory sticks manufacturer, I don't think they have enough expereince in creating hard drives. I know they are manufacturing external drive enclosures so it could be an OEM hard drive that is residing in it as sales guys say. Imation 1TB is about LKR 11250 (At Tech Info).

Since backup data is very important than a difference of about LKR 3000, I have gone for Seagate.

Western Digital 320GB was about LKR 7000 and Samsung 500GB was around LKR 8500.

Return to “????????? ???????? (Recommend - Complain - Review)”