Best OS for USB Pen Drive

Linux OS Topics
Nipuna

Best OS for USB Pen Drive

Post by Nipuna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 am

What is the Best Pen drive for USB Pen Drive. I tried so many. I tried Slitaz. it's good but I can't install my Modem in it some commands aren't working.
I tried Slax i found from net that it is so easy to use. I mean to install software and then configure them. I found that If i want to install a software all i have to do it copy paste it into a folder. But i can't remember folder's name. :)
I tried to use this via my pen but it isn't booting after this.
it says this and doesn't boot after that.
Loading "Volume Logical Manager" this name must be wrong :D but it says some thing like that.

Then I tried DSL (Damn Small Linux). It says it can't boot too. It gives only Shell to work. It doesn't give the GUI

Then I Install Puppy Linux from Live CD to my Pen. It's Working well. But my Problem is, I want to install my Modem in it for that I have to use Eciadsl. So I searched the Eciadsl site but they doesn't provide a Package for Puppy. So I've downloaded the source package and then try to compile it but it says, There is no good C compiler. My problem is how to Install it and then how to install make. Make is a Software that want to compile packages.
But I've converted the source tar.gz package to .PET package and then i installed it. but it was installed well but Eciadsl commands aren't working.

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best OS for USB Pen Drive

Post by Neo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:45 am

So I've downloaded the source package and then try to compile it but it says, There is no good C compiler
Most tiny distros are not usually compiled with minimal required packages.

You can download a small program from http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and make an Ubuntu live USB. Since you are already familiar with it, it would be better to install that. (I would try Fedora on the first case).
launch Linux directly in Windows with a special Portable VirtualBox
One real advantage of this program is that you can even load this OS within Windows (it comes built-in virtualisation).

Hope that helps!
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:56 am

My Main Idea is to use My Modem with it. So Is fedora Good For that? Because I like to Get experience with other OSes too.
And Prolink gives a driver to Fedora, As i can remember.

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Then give a try to Fedora. You will love it I'm sure.
Basically Fedora is based on RedHat core while Ubuntu is based on Debian core.

Return to “Linux”