Make .DEB files

Linux OS Topics
Nipuna

Make .DEB files

Post by Nipuna » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 pm

How to make .DEB files on Ubuntu 10.04? Can you explain me simply.

I did make Debs before 1 year ago now i don't remember it. :D

I tried Google I found some programs but i when i try to install them they ask for more packages. And i don't have internet connection on Ubuntu so I have to install them one by one. Can you tell me a solution for that too?

At past times, I installed Programs in that way, What i did was downloaded .Debs then restart and login to ubuntu then install them, If more packages needed i continued the said method.

One time i installed Mplayer for that I had to download more than 20 .Debs.

But i didn't do it always because I surfed the net on Ubuntu Using my Mobile. Now i am Using ADSL and it isn't working on Ubuntu. It worked with Ecidasl but now Eciadsl isn't working on Ubuntu 10.04 too. :(
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Make .DEB files

Post by Neo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Creating a Deb is quite complicated from command line. However it is good to learn and this one is a good starting point. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/how-to-c ... ebian.html

Though it is not the passion of a Linux user to work using applications, I would like to mention some easy application which you can use to create Debs (I think you are referring these).

The best I know is the DebMaker.

See this video demo on how to use it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBdtTpGM778[/media]

DebCreater is another good one you can try.
when i try to install them they ask for more packages
Yes, dependencies are required. There is no way to avoid them.
And i don't have internet connection on Ubuntu so I have to install them one by one. Can you tell me a solution for that too?
Why don't you download them from Windows and copy to Ubuntu through a pen drive.

Have you heard of a software called Virtual Box. Using this you can install Ubuntu or any other OS on top of Windows. See this posts I added quite a long time ago at https://robot.lk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=49. You can even install Windows on top of Ubuntu if you need. (But since your internet connection is not working on Ubuntu, you will have to install it on top of Windows).

In this way, you will be able to share your internet connection on Ubuntu without a need of a driver. With Virtual Box, you can maximise Ubuntu to be full screen which gives you the feeling that you are really on Ubuntu (not on top of another OS). I used this method mostly since I have no time to shut down one and log in to the other, etc.... I have almost every OS running on top of Windows :)

Virtual Box will answer almost every other question in your post. Install Virtual Box and then Ubuntu on it and let me know your ideas.
Nipuna

Re: Make .DEB files

Post by Nipuna » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks a Lot Neo

But I like to use Ubuntu in Normal way.

By the way thanks for the Help

Return to “Linux”