Recover Ubuntu

Linux OS Topics
Nipuna

Recover Ubuntu

Post by Nipuna » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Today I installed windows 7.

Now Ubuntu 10.04's Boot menu isn't showing. I knew this would happened. But I installed 7.

At past times What i did was, install Ubuntu again But this time i can't do it because

There is a Folder in Ubuntu Desktop, I thought I will copy it after Install windows 7 using Live CD. But i couldn't do it because it said "you don't have permission to copy this folder"

Please Tell me a Way to recover Ubuntu or Remove the Permission.
I tried several methods to recover Ubuntu but they didn't work. It's better if you tell me how to Remove the Permission.

Thanks
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Recover Ubuntu

Post by Saman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks Friend

But I've copied the file and Installed Ubuntu again. Herath1 Helped me for that.

Thank you too. You all are doing a Great Service.

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

One thing that I have noted...
Herath1 Helped me for that.
Where is Herath's answer?

Please always do answer below the topic. ROBOT.LK's objective is not just to help a single person but to help 1000s of people who face the same problem and searching for a solution. If it is just a single person we try to help, then ROBOT.LK becomes a service centre or an individual tuition class :lol:

Please keep that note and always try to answer the topic and complete it with a solution.

Thanks!
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 pm

He helped me via Yahoo messenger. I will tell him to post the answer here.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 pm

No problem at all. My only concern is to end an opened topic with an answer. Otherwise these is no use to submit a topic here. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Neo wrote:No problem at all. My only concern is to end an opened topic with an answer. Otherwise these is no use to submit a topic here. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.
Yes. I understand. But I don't know about Ubuntu well that's why i told him to post his answer here
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:27 am

The 'Desktop' folder for each user is located usually at /home/<username>/Desktop . In order to copy this folder, root access is needed (Or access to the user login). The easiest way to do this is running 'nautilus' (gnome default file manager) with root permission. Here are the steps.

1. Start Ubuntu using the live CD and wait until it is loaded.
2. After loading is complete, press key combination "Alt+F2" to get the Run command dialog box.
3. Then use "gksu nautilus" to start nautilus with root permission.
4. After that it is possible to copy the Desktop folder for any user.

In a Ubuntu installation, there is a way to change the root password. I am not sure if this is known already. I use this in order to change the root password, So I can login as root without having to use sudo. (Or I can use "su")

In terminal,

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
It will ask your password, then the new UNIX password for root and to confirm it. That's it.

Return to “Linux”