Connect Extra Battery to DCP 650VA UPS

Electronics & Electrical Engineering Topics
Nipuna

Connect Extra Battery to DCP 650VA UPS

Post by Nipuna » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi

Since everyone here on Expertcore knows about my crappy UPS :) I don't tell about it anymore :)

By the way after replacing 2nd battery of its now it seems working a little. :)

But when I am gaming if power fails, UPS's power isn't enough and my computer restarts. But when doing normal stuff it can keep my computer running until I turn it off.

Here is my system specs,

Samsung S22A350H LED Backlit Monitor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Foxconn G31 MX Series
2x1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM sticks.
Samsung 80GB SATA HDD
Sony DVD Combo
Samsung DVD-RW
Nividia GTX 460
Axle 400W PSU (This is a Genuine PSU which supplies correct wattage not a cheap crappy one which doesn't supply the power stated, I mainly bough this PSU because of my Graphics card which requires 150W at maximum load)

So I think you can understand why my computer turn offs when power fails. Because UPS can't supply that much power.

So I've talked about this our member TRONICLK, and he said me to buy a 1KV one so I won't get any problems.

Since I am going to upgrade my computer really soon I thought to buy a 1KV UPS with those new parts, But since I am on a tight budget I won't be able to get a new UPS.

Anyway here are the new Parts I am going to buy so you can find out their power consumption also.

Intel Core i5 3470
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
2x4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz DDR3 Kit
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GBPS
And a good gaming casing (A cheap :) ) which is Coolermaster Elite 430

And also I'll be using my these existing parts with my new build also
Samsung 80GB SATA HDD
Sony DVD Combo
Samsung DVD-RW
Nividia GTX 460
Axle 400W PSU
So power consumption will be high because with 2 HDDs and etc..

So I've decided to add an extra battery to my UPS, My UPS uses 12V 7A batteries so I'll be connecting one of them separately.

Mainly I need to know is,

Is it safe to do so? Will my UPS be blown up?
Will it take more time to charge both?
And will I get the similar backup time like a 1KV UPS ? Even 2mins is OK for me to turn off my computer safely.

I just need to keep my computer without restating while I am gaming when power fails so I can just quit the game and save my new Hard Drive :)
For that I am not hoping to buy a new UPS also, So will my Hack work?

Thanks
nipunawg

Re: Connect Extra Battery to DCP 650VA UPS

Post by nipunawg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi. This is my first reply on this forum I think :)

@[Guy with the same name as me + from the same hometown as me. what coincidence :D]

In a nutshell; no. :D

Your current problem is the inability of your UPS of providing the WATTAGE demanded of it.
Now, its parts (switching FETS, Transformer etc.) are designed to output a max power of 650VA (don't know your power factor so can't state it in watts) and the fact that your computer restarts when the UPS is loaded means that this 650VA limit is being exceeded.

adding a battery would only allow the UPS to draw more current than it's designed to. which would cause its power components to fail if it doesn't have some sort of current limiting which I'm sure it does possess. so, in effect, there would be no difference in your case; your compy would restart just like it used to.

But, if you were running within the rated power and you just wanted to increase the backup time of your UPS, this would work :) provided you hacked the UPS's thermal design to allow it to run for the extended period without overheating.

and who are you calling crappy? :D I bought the same brand/model of UPS a good five-six years back and it's managed survive with me without a single breakdown through three lightning strikes upto now :P
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 am

Great another person like me :D ;)

But I think your hometown is different ;)

Back to the topic, Then I'll have to buy a 1KV UPS anyway :(

There are reason to call "Crappy" because if you search my posts on Expertcore, you'll see how much problems I had with this UPS.

By the way, Welcome to Expertcore :)

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am

While agreeing with most of the points in Nipunawg's reply, I have few points to mention.

1. If you are going to put a battery, make sure that you put a battery with same voltage (So 12V is a must)

2. The amount of time that the battery can sustain is governed by the AHrs rating of the battery. The normal USP battery is 7AHrs. That means it can provide 1A output for about 7Hours. If you put a car battery say 35AHrs, the backup time will increase by x5. If you put 45AHrs, approx. x6.5.

3. As Nipunawg stated, still your output will be 650VA. However, if you put a powerful battery, you will get the peak current which I guess would be mostly enough for your PC (marginally).

4. Since the charger is designed for a 7AHrs battery, for more AHrs battery, it will take long time to charge. I would guess the UPS is using an auto-charging mechanism, so this won't be a big problem. You just need to keep your UPS on for a longer time.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll have to buy 1KV UPS then,

Let's see
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Unfortunately I don't think this would work.

UPS battery is a acid jell accumulator battery. [also known as a dry accumulator battery].
The charging curve of this battery is different from a capacitor. You may need to hack your firmware.
Otherwise it won't work at all.

And Charging curve is dynamic. Which mean it could shift with the time and number of cycles that it
charged.

I suggest you to ask this question in batteryuniversity if no appropriate reply is here. Simply you could hack
your existing UPS, but it's requires a hack for sure.I've worked with NiCd battries, neither I have experience
with accumulators.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Semi, as per my knowledge, UPSs come with SLA (Sealed lead-acid) Batteries. It could be that liquid sulfuric is replaced with a gel formula. Still the principle is the same. So if we replace it with a similar type with same V and more AHrs (capacity), that doesn't matter much than having the battery charged for a long time. Isn't it?

Charging principle of Li-Ion and NiCd is different to charging SLA. At the end it is a matter of constant voltage/constant current.

Good video. However, if you could use a Gel car battery (bit expensive than acid version), it is safer. No acid hazard.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS1uznq8Nys[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX1OQZ1B6m0[/media]
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Anyway now no need to connect extra batteries.

I've bought a 1KV UPS. :)
MarkSpencer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MarkSpencer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

I am interested to buy DCP 650VA UPS what battery will be best for it? Help me to sort out the best brand name with updated price quote.

Truck Scales
analyzer82

Post by analyzer82 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:47 pm

hey Nipuna

I happen to bump in to this forum while Googling something.

The restarting problem u mention is not a problem with the UPS or the output load! It has to do with ur PSU having a poor (or No) hold-up time! If ur in SL, ur mostly likely to have el-cheapo PSU with no hold-up time which causes ur machine to restart when the UPS is switching to battery. Line interactive UPS have a delay ( measured in "ms") when switching to battery. I think all you had to do was replace ur PSU with a branded one with good hold-up time and other stats. The 1KV UPS you bought might be a "in-line" (or on-line) UPS which doesn't use any switching relay.

I know u don't have the problem now with the 1KV unit but I am writing this as information as some others may have the same problem.

Return to “Electronics & Electrical Engineering”