Servo motor voltage regulator

Electronics & Electrical Engineering Topics
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Servo motor voltage regulator

Post by SemiconductorCat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 am

hi,
Could somebody please explain the mechanism and the principle of 'Servo Motor Voltage Regulator'?
I have searched on google, but google prompts "Hay you cold buy that from us." links , I'm serious I didn't
find a single or a paper about it's working principle.

Could somebody explain?
Or could redirect me to some appropriate paper/link ( it's very useful to me).

--Thanks in advance--
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Servo motor voltage regulator

Post by Neo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 am

Me either couldn't find a link with exact theoretical background. However, it could be also just another marketing term for an existing technology. The wiki article on voltage regulators is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator

You might find interesting from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_re ... _regulator. It's a kind of a motor which takes the feedback from input and adjust the winding of a transformer to step up or down the resulting voltage.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:35 am

So is that you mean it's a variac device and there's a servo motor top of it and
electronic microprocessor system is controlling that servo motor using a feedback?

YEP ! I think you're right.
I have that device in my father's offset machine, it's baby rota print machine and it feeds
a DC motor field winding through regulatory outputs, and some-kind of sensor will detect
the speed and drive a little servo motor which rotates the variac device.( note there are
regulators connected).

For more information this is I called variac.

And the electrician had came and he cut all electronic boards and made it complete electromechanical
using micro-switches. As you know those minders are so afraid to see electronic devices in their machines.
Now the machine is completely running manually , even the servo motor top of it controlled through
microswitches and a inductor. Pure genius analog criminal( sorry about using that term 'criminal' but
he deserve that, he murdered all the electronic boards and turn it to a complete electrical system with
only passive devices and dam microswitches.).

For the interested people I'll come up with some pictures of that machine and it's electrical connections,
if I would be able to find a digital camera/camera phone.For now this is the variac device,

[picture from ebay]

And more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

I don't know why these people use different difficult fearful words in the industry? Why can't they just
ask it nicely like "Variac" ?
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Oky I got access to a mobil phone camera.
Here are some pictures of that variac device.

Front side of the device.

And this is the back side of the device
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:32 pm

And this is a high current rectifier, this will rectify the AC voltage output from variac
and load it to DC motor. Note that there are two rectifiers needed to this motor.
One is to field winding and another is to rotor.

And guess this is an interpole coil for the DC motor to reduce sparks in amature brushes.

Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm

This is simply a very rare collection of images. Would be better if you could start a new topic on this with a good title, so that lot of people can reach it to see it.

Return to “Electronics & Electrical Engineering”