Want to know about a compiler .....

Microcontroller Topics
indika

Want to know about a compiler .....

Post by indika » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:24 am

Hi Friends,

I am a new user to the microcontrolers and just started to work with microcontroller. I bought a microcontroller from Microchip
( PIC 16F876 ) Can any body recomend good compiler to program this ?

Thanks,
Indika
Magneto
Major
Major

Re: Want to know about a compiler .....

Post by Magneto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:02 am

Hi Friend ,

There are lots of compilers for programming PIC microcontrollers. Some compilers like Mikro C and PIC Basic Pro contain lots of libraries ,
for easily interfacing the pheripherals of the microcontrollers. So using this type of compilers , you can minimize the development time as you
do not want to much worry about the inernal behaviour of the microcontroller such like register settings.

But you can not fine tune the things , as you are using pre_written library functions. And also , you have very less chance to learn about the microcontroller
internal behaviour

So My recomendation is it is better to use a compiler which suppor ANSI C , such like HighTech C. Then you can have better undestand about the internal
structure and functions of the microcontroller. And you can do , what you want , becaue you are not using any library functions. Hence you have the full control of the project. And also if you want to change the code , into another manufacture's microcontroller , then you can easily change to code to suit for that new microcontroller as the code is ANSI C and most microcontrollers contain ANSI C support compilers.

If you are like to write in assembly , you can write your code in MP LAB. It is completely free and available in microchip web site. But things could
be complex in written in assembly , when the program is becoming large

Return to “Microcontrollers”