What are the Atmel Atmega MCUs found in SL

Microcontroller Topics
Herath
Major
Major

What are the Atmel Atmega MCUs found in SL

Post by Herath » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:12 pm

I want to know about easily found ATMega series MCUs in Sri Lanka (If there are any) . I would appreciate it if someone could add few of them here.

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are the Atmel Atmega MCUs found in SL

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm

I bought ATmega8515 & ATmega8535 long time ago from 1st Cross Street, Pettah. I know a guy who bulk import electronic items. If you can list down the items, I'll ask him to submit his price.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 pm

I am interested in Atmega32 MCU.But I would appreciate suggestions.
I want to have UART and TWI (may be SPI) in it. It is good if it has JTAG port and ISP for program downloading.

I am looking for this kind of a chip since Atmega128 seems to be a bit too much for me and a overkill for what I am planning to do. :)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:44 pm

That's a smart chip for your requirement. I'll ask him to submit his price. Do you need only one chip?
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:05 am

Thank a lot for the help. :)
I might buy more than one (two or three probably) if they are cheap. (800LKR per chip sounds reasonable for me). I will be using one for learning the MCU and the rest are for final work and in case I fry any while experimenting. :mrgreen: .

And I am having a doubt about what programmer to use to program the chip. I found a simple serial programmer with resistors and 5.1V zeners. It's a ISP for using with ponyprog. I saw a parallel programmer with a buffer here in robot.lk. But that needs an active component, a buffer. I am not sure If I am going to be able to find it here.
And the main reason for going off topic here is, I want to know if it is safe to use such a serial programmer?.

Thanks.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am

Sorry, I'm not sure about the price. I'll ask the guy to submit the best he can give to you.
I found one from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Atmel-ATMEGA32U2-AU ... 255e514f65.

Regarding programmer.... most of the programmers work. When it comes to Atmel, mostly people use ISP programmers.
But it would be good to have a programmer with debugger since you are going to learn.

See http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-JTAG-adapter-Pr ... 255d68581b that supports ATMega32.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks a lot for taking your time to search ebay for me. :)

I checked ebay, but those programmers seems to be with FTDI and a RS-232 to TTL Level coversion with some uC too.. I have a mobile phone cable with has Tx and Rx pins. I cut it out from a Nokia DKU-5 cable and connected to a Sony Ericsson K600i to flash it. I think this cable is either 3.3V or 5V. Most probably 3.3V (or 3V). I know for sure that it can be used to write my router's flash via JTAG.

And I have another cable with PL2303->[TTL lvl conversio]-->phone .

I am going to have to try this cable out by my self. And I might fry a chip in the process or it might not work at all.
If I run the MCU at about 3V. I guess that It might work. But I am not sure. :D
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 am

I checked ebay, but those programmers seems to be with FTDI and a RS-232 to TTL Level coversion with some uC too..
I'm not sure about your problem. Since the interface to PC is USB, you don't have to worry about voltage levels of the programmer, isn't it? The output jack of the programmer (JTAG) can be directly interfaced to your micro. No consideration on power levels required there too.
3.JPG
3.JPG (41.57 KiB) Viewed 10320 times
Mostly people leave this header in their production board as well so that they can do in-circuit programming and debugging in the production environment.

See this production board. They have left both ISP and JTAG ports so whenever they want they can programme or debug with the custom hardware peripherals.
2.jpg
2.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 10320 times
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:02 pm

I was just thinking if I can use that cable. Or use one of the DIY programmer. :).
But I will try to buy one from ebay. I am not still having any program compiled to test. I am still working on UART (of the uC).
Magneto
Major
Major

Post by Magneto » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 am

Dear Friend ,

I am having a friend , who is selling Atmega16 and Atmega128 surface mount chips. Atmega16 price is Rs.400/=.
Atmega 128 price is Rs. 1000/=. I think this price is reasonable. If you like to buy any of those item , please inform me

Regards

Return to “Microcontrollers”