Code Composer Studio

DSP Topics
SukhdeepMankoo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Code Composer Studio

Post by SukhdeepMankoo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,
I have brought TMS320C6713B starter Kit. all the things are working fine. now i want to write the code and burned into the flash. Can i directory burn the test.out file into the flash? what is the format of code composer studio output(test.out), is it in hex ,binary file or any other format?

Second thing, how can i write code for TMS320C6713? is TMS320c6713B require only TMS320C6000 Chip Support Library only?

Regards
Sukhdeep Singh.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Code Composer Studio

Post by Neo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 pm

.out files that are compiled by CCS are in a format called Common Object File Format (COFF).
Read http://focus.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/spraao8/spraao8.pdf

There is a way to convert this file in to Intel Hex format. Find the hex6x.exe under Code Generation Tools(CGT)\Bin.
This is sometimes useful.

To flash this file (.out), there must a be a utility that comes with the evaluation module drivers.
Note that, to boot from your flash, you may have to configure your board with either jumpers or by reflashing on-board board setup microcontroller (or FPGA). Read the manual of the evaluation kit.

Normally we need following things installed to develop applications for a DSP.
Chip Support Library (CSL)
Board Support Library (BSL) - This comes with the evaluation module (kit) that has drivers for special chips like external ADCs, etc...
Code Generation Tools (CGT) - this comes with CCS (You can separately download latest CGT versions)

I recommend you to start with an example project that comes with the Board Support Library. This provides correct settings on DSP/BIOS, CMD file, etc...

Note that before starting, carefully read the documents that comes with the evaluation module.
SukhdeepMankoo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SukhdeepMankoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks Neo,
I have tested example provided in CCS for TMS320C6713 and is working fine. i have even made own code for DSP kit, it is working fine.Now,i want to own hardware for DSP processor, where it is connected with AM29LV40 flash memory from AMD.
for this i want to write code for TMS320C6713B and burn that code into the flash.

Now my questions are:

1) hex6x.exe under Code Generation Tools(CGT)\Bin: i have seen it but unable to use it. how can i convert COFF format into the hex format for Flash.

2) Is TMS320C6713B only require CSL6713.lib only.
#include<csl.h>

what header files and libraries are required for this?

Regards
Sukhdeep Singh
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

1) hex6x.exe under Code Generation Tools(CGT)\Bin: i have seen it but unable to use it. how can i convert COFF format into the hex format for Flash.
See following example.

Code: Select all

hex6x.exe -o "Debug\MyCode.hex" -romwidth  8 -memwidth 8 -i "Debug\MyCode.out"
However I still don't think you need to do this. You can directly burn the COFF file (.out) to flash using the utility provided by evaluation board manufacturer.
2) Is TMS320C6713B only require CSL6713.lib only.
#include<csl.h>
It depends on your application. For example, if you use EDMA copies then you will have to link EDMA libs. If you use I2C functions, then again you'll have to link i2c libraries. Check build options and CMD file of your sample project to see what libraries are linked at the moment.
SukhdeepMankoo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SukhdeepMankoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks,
Now i have connected external flash and ram, which code should i burn for flash and ram.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:21 pm

You have to write the whole code to Flash. If you place sections in right areas, at boot time each section is loaded to relevant memory sections from Flash. For example, you can put all sections to DDR and compile the code to produce the .out. And then burn this .out to Flash. At boot time, entire code will be copied to DDR and start execution. (This is done by the bootloader).
SukhdeepMankoo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SukhdeepMankoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks Neo,
If i will have any other doubt, i will ask again.

Return to “Digital Signal Processors”