Solution for "Windows unable to format ..." problem

Windows OS Specific Topics
Nandika
Captain
Captain

Solution for "Windows unable to format ..." problem

Post by Nandika » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Friends,
I found a new tool for format USB Drivers which can't format in Windows.
Sometime,after you give command to format a pen driver in my computer,Windows manager or DOS,Windows give a message "Windows unable to format ....".
Some time detect your pen driver.but,you can't open it.
This is a solution for above any problem.
(Name of tool:-HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool)
You can format your pen driver using this tool.it's easy to use.but,get long time.
I have succeed using this tool for my Pen driver.

YOUR ALL DATA WILL BE LOSE AFTER FORMAT USING THIS.

Use this link for download it.
please inform your experience about this tool.
http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-St ... 74082.html

good luck :)
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Re: Solution for "Windows unable to format ..." problem

Post by SemiconductorCat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Do you know why receive that message in advance?

When the a running application is a lock in a file stored in USB Pen it gives this message in advance.
Probably a virus.But may be not. Such as Kingston lock program, etc.

So we need to carefully work around that. So you could do manual format.

And I don't know what's the mechanism around that HP software. Could you explain?
SevenZero
Major
Major

Post by SevenZero » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 am

Do you know why receive that message in advance?

When the a running application is a lock in a file stored in USB Pen it gives this message in advance.
Probably a virus.But may be not. Such as Kingston lock program, etc.
That's not true. Having a locked file isn't a big deal when formatting a USB pen or any other USB driven disk. The main problem in most of the cases is that the USB pen drives get corrupted due to incorrect handling such as removing without power off the USB port (This is not relevant to USB3 drives), exposed to excessive heat, etc... In this case either the partition sector or the boot sector (when a partition sector is not available) gets damaged which the drive data such as total sectors couldn't be identified. Standard format applications such as windows format fails here. Or else sometimes reports a wrong capacity after formatting. Recently one of my 16GB pen drive was reporting 1GB after formatting with Windows.
And I don't know what's the mechanism around that HP software. Could you explain?
These format programs access the USB pen's flash chip using ATA commands and get information on total sectors, bytes per sector, etc... from the controller chip and reestablish the partition/boot sector with correct records. In this way the USB pen drives start working as before but you'll loose data as Nandika stated clearly.

PS: Both Sandun and Nandika exceeded 100 posts and I'm going to join you to Promo Team after getting permission from Neo. Let me have a quick chat with him ;). Hope you will increase activity of ROBOT.LK by introducing this to your friends, exchange knowledge, etc... That's the responsibility of a Promo Team Member of ROBOT.LK.
Nandika
Captain
Captain

Post by Nandika » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm

SevenZero wrote: That's not true. Having a locked file isn't a big deal when formatting a USB pen or any other USB driven disk. The main problem in most of the cases is that the USB pen drives get corrupted due to incorrect handling such as removing without power off the USB port (This is not relevant to USB3 drives), exposed to excessive heat, etc... In this case either the partition sector or the boot sector (when a partition sector is not available) gets damaged which the drive data such as total sectors couldn't be identified. Standard format applications such as windows format fails here. Or else sometimes reports a wrong capacity after formatting. Recently one of my 16GB pen drive was reporting 1GB after formatting with Windows.
I think,SevenZero is correct than Sandun.but,Sandun is correct.when some file used which stored in pen driver,this message has been appear.i know that.but,my pen driver is not like that.when plugged to USB port,it wasn't gave it's information.(size,data,...)
Description of ZevenZero is more informative and may give lot of details for Sandun specially.
SevenZero wrote: PS: Both Sandun and Nandika exceeded 100 posts and I'm going to join you to Promo Team after getting permission from Neo. Let me have a quick chat with him ;). Hope you will increase activity of ROBOT.LK by introducing this to your friends, exchange knowledge, etc... That's the responsibility of a Promo Team Member of ROBOT.LK.
Thank you SevenZero.i am very happy about this. :) And i know my responsibility well.

Return to “Windows”