Wndows 7 Hibernate

Windows OS Specific Topics
Chathura
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Wndows 7 Hibernate

Post by Chathura » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Is there any reason we shouldn't hibernate on windows 7. Once my computer was hibernated and when I start it back my Internet was not working.... network card blinked the light but windows said no connection available??? once i restart the computer it worked .....
Herath
Major
Major

Re: Wndows 7 Hibernate

Post by Herath » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:37 pm

The only reason for not doing that is having hardware that would not support the hibernate sleep state which is S4. Here is the list of power states.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
Power StateACPI StateDescription
WorkingS0The system is fully usable. Devices that are not in use can save power by entering a lower power state.
SleepS1
S2
S3
The system appears to be off. Power consumption is reduced to one of several levels, depending on how the system is to be used. The lower the level of power consumption, the more time it takes the system to return to the working state.
HibernationS4The system appears to be off. Power consumption is reduced to the lowest level. The system saves the contents of memory to a hibernation file, preserving the state of the operating system, applications, and open documents.
Soft OffS5The system appears to be off. Some components remain powered so the computer can wake from input from the keyboard, LAN, or a USB device. The working context can be restored if it is stored on nonvolatile media.
WorkingS0 The system is fully usable. Devices that are not in use can save power by entering a lower power state.
you can use powercfg command line tool to check the hardware that support different sleep states. For hibernation support, use,

Code: Select all

powercfg -devicequery s4_supported>c:\s4_hardware.txt
This will create a file named s4_hardware.txt on your C: . See if your network card is not listed in it. If the network card is not listed, the card is not supporting hibernate. Try updating your device drivers for the network card.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Very nice and descriptive explanation.
Chathura
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Chathura » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am

EXCELLENT :) :)........
But ethernet card is listed and this only happened once. so is it okay to hibernate computer instead of power off ??
hibernate is much easier because no update alerts from IDM or any other..... and many more alerts won't display....
also it is much faster......
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 am

I don't think it is good to use always. I only use it when it is difficult to remember what I was up to with my coding. I never hibernate when I have nothing to stay on the screen as it is. So I only hibernate the PC once or twice a month. Regarding IDM, why don't you use Free Download Manager. This is free and very good.
Chathura
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Chathura » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

But everyday I have to open browser,eclipse,thunderbird,inkscape,total video converter .... so It is very easy to use when I hibernate computer instead of shutdown.........

Is there any reason to not hibernate computer??????????????????
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:51 pm

You even have to turn the computer on everyday. Why dont just leave it on. :lol: (Just kidding)
Microsoft recommends that you restart computer in a regular manner. (But not every once for an hour)
Rksk
Major
Major

Post by Rksk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I too use Hibernate every time & only restart once 2-3weeks. I have faced problems with this. But i can't shuddown & turn on every day because we are still in 199x in hardwares and restarting gets much time. Then hibernating is very faster.s much time. Then hibernating is very faster.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Return to “Windows”