Increase disk Space in Windows 7

Windows OS Specific Topics
Nipuna

Increase disk Space in Windows 7

Post by Nipuna » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Friends I need a Help

I want to Free Up My C Drive and I am Using Windows 7. I Cleaned Up Using Disk Cleanup and Deleted Unwanted Files and removed Some Unwanted Applications, Actually I had to remove Some Little Wanted programs too :)

And I Freed Up to 3GB, Then I had to Reboot for Unstallation Completing

Then it Drop to 2.25GB again. :shock:

I need Help for this Guys. I searched on Google they all say to Use Disk Cleanup and So on... And I did Them all.

This Had Happened Before too. I was thinking to Ask about this Earlier and I forgot :)

One Day I freed Up to 5GB and After a Reboot it Became 3GB again. That was the time i was going to Ask Here :) I forgot about it :)
If I asked Before I would have Solved this by Now :)

Thanks
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Increase disk Space in Windows 7

Post by Neo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:18 am

This variation is normally caused by the swap file (page file that use for virtual memory) on the OS. You must currently have the option set to "OS decide the swap size" which brings the optimal results. However, you can change that to a defined size. Generally Windows memory management is considered weak leaving memory fragmented (memory holes) when you work for several hours on the PC. You can use memory optimizer software but mostly they don't help much. However give a try to CleanMem. Mostly the best solution is to buy more RAM which will reduce the page file usage.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:30 am

How large is your C: drive?. Mine is 37GB, but only about 3GB left. Most of the space is wasted in windows folder due to WinSxS folder (5GB) . I wish I could delete that folder. :evil:

As much as Google seem to think everyone has fiber optics links connecting their homes to global network, Microsoft seem to think that everyone has money to burn... . Dirty business tricks :lol:

Use treesize to analyze your disk. It will visualize your disk usage.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:14 pm

My C Drive is 19.5GB.

And Neo I have 2GB of RAM now.

I removed so many Items. Such as Software and So many Another files. But My C drive is so much full.

I will try your Software and tell you.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Nothing to do Friends It is still Same.

Why I wonder is without having many software, How did my C drive fill up :?

That is my Problem No virus nor any other useless software :?
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Size of my Windows folder: 13.5GB.

Thats the way it is. More functionality mostly means more and more resource requirements. 1TB hard disk is just 8000 by the way. :D
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:11 pm

OK. I think this is the way it is.

I don't need mush space. 80GB Hard Disk is Enough for me. But After Installing 7 C drive fills Up Quickly because 7 is using more space than XP.

It Is OK. I will manage to work with this Some how. :)

Thanks
Mysoogal
Captain
Captain

Post by Mysoogal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 pm

maybe disable hibernation mode, this takes at least 1 GB of space and the page-file. these too seem to kill my space all the time so, i went back to windows xp

trust me it only takes 120 mb memory , as for disk space its free as long as i empty garbage bin every day
Markwinstanley
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Markwinstanley » Fri May 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Install lite version of Windows 7.lite version dont contain windows media centre,help,error reporting and other unnecessary things.u can also customize own windows 7 which u can delete unnecessary drivers which is not require by your system like printer driver and all motherboard,audio,video drivers.it so lite even its run on 512mb ram my friend using it so give it try its only use 7gb and iso image will be 700mb only
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Herath wrote:How large is your C: drive?. Mine is 37GB, but only about 3GB left. Most of the space is wasted in windows folder due to WinSxS folder (5GB) . I wish I could delete that folder. :evil:

As much as Google seem to think everyone has fiber optics links connecting their homes to global network, Microsoft seem to think that everyone has money to burn... . Dirty business tricks :lol:

Use treesize to analyze your disk. It will visualize your disk usage.
This explains it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to- ... ws-7-or-8/

In the case that you are using genuine version of windows and you have updates enabled.
Like me.

Another thing is windows restore points. You could take more space by deleting the restore points. But you won't be
able to restore to a previous version. Windows restore generally keep copy of registry hives, but multiplied with number of points this may be significant. That's why they have developed windows cleanup tool. It knows where space was taken. And those hidden files that windows tracks. So actually after I reading your post , I found the same winsxs folder took my space too. But instead treesize software that windows inbuilt cleanup tool does the work for me. It really worked.

thanks appreciated.

Return to “Windows”