Blood gushes from virtual leg injury to help train combat me

General Discussions
Nipuna

Blood gushes from virtual leg injury to help train combat me

Post by Nipuna » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 am

mg22830501.900-1_800[1].jpg
mg22830501.900-1_800[1].jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 21489 times
OUCH! A detailed simulation of a human leg injured by flying shrapnel, gushing blood and all, could help train medics for real combat situations.

The video simulation was created by Jeff Eldredge at the University of California, Los Angeles, and his colleagues. The main challenge was to solve the governing equations of fluid dynamics and tissue mechanics to show exactly what happens with real injuries. The virtual leg has realistic bone, muscle and skin, along with a vascular system that drives the flow of blood gushing out of damaged arteries and veins.

The team hopes to eventually develop the simulation so that it runs interactively in real time, allowing trainee medics to administer treatments such as a tourniquet and see a realistic reaction immediately.

“We’re genuinely hopeful that our simulations will enhance the educational experience for medical trainees,” says Eldredge. “But I’m really pleased just to get visceral reactions from my kids. That probably makes me a horrible father.”

The work was presented at the fluid-dynamics meeting of the American Physical Society last week and if you’ve got the stomach for it, you can watch the video at youtu.be/E_KbtzRcE1c.

(Image: UCLA)

Return to “General Discussions”