SLT ADSL

General Discussions
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SLT ADSL

Post by Neo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm really wondering about this behaviour of SLT because, whenever I called them, they called me back within 24-hours. Never ever had any problem with them for about last 5 years with ADSL. Even my dad use a home package and he never complained.

Since you are experiencing a speed problem, it can be that they know the issue and they are working on to fix it.

There are two common things you can check. Can you remove the ADSL Splitter and plug the telephone cable directly to your router and see whether you see any improvement. Can you check all your RJ11 jacks and telephone boxes (rosette boxes, etc...) for oxidized pins and if there is any, clean them with isopropyl alcohol (surgical spirit). Make sure you give enough time to vaporise spirit.

If you can plug your phone in place of router and if the line is clear without noise, we can assume that the line is ok.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:11 am

Although the connection is a bit slow sometimes, I am happy about the overall quality of my ADSL line. It is working perfectly at 5km and average speed is way better than the Suntel dial up connection I had(It was just 80kbps max :D ).

There is nothing much that we can demand when we use a shared service like this. :(
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:30 pm

But Friend, Herath has This Problem too.

I know this is a shared line but this Problem happened suddenly and this is a well known Problem among SLT ADSL users.

They only replied my first 5 calls then they didn't called.

SLT was doing well with customers. But now they are not working well on this ADSL Problem.

But They always come to repair Phone line when we call if there is a problem. They are missing ADSL problem only
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 am

Here is my super fast ADSL during day time.

As for the situation, I will need to stay awake after 12AM to get good speeds. This could not be due to congestion. I suspect throttling of my bandwidth. I have consumed about 8GB of bandwidth for now. Only downloaded one movie of 700MB. And the rest is mostly watching educational stuff and music over youtube and downloading free materials(Softwares etc ).., .
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm

On my Airtel connection (Rs. 380/1 GB free).

Mumbai Server.

San Fransisco Server.

However, it didn't even respond to Copenhagen server.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I get the Normal Speed for this file and some other files, such as files where are on SLT Home page.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86-ENU.exe

It's 2 Months Now, This Donkeys didn't correct this DAMN Problem :x I have some more words to say but I don't like to say these here because they are Bad. :x

I tried to download this file.

I only get 4KB/s to 8KB/s

http://www97.megavideo.com/files/916ba7 ... fa6a41375/

And After Some time when it close to 1MB it falls to 0KB/s and IDM says "Download can't continue, time out"

this happens for some other files too. :x

What the Heck is this?

Won't these Fools Correct this? They sent 2 Bills for past Months Nicely without giving Quality service :x

What are Your ideas about this?
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:59 pm

This file is not downloadable for me. Can you give us a link to a file which reports slow to download on your PC, so that all of us can report you our speeds.

If they have detected that you are a regular torrent downloader, they might have put some conditions on your connection (this is possible with advance routers). However you can mostly bypass these by using a proxy.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 am

My download speed is about 10KB/s.

I used to be a very frequent torrent downloader. But in this month, I only downloaded about 1.8GB using torrents. It was a film and orCAD( orCAD did not have atmel libraries, waste of bandwidth).
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 pm

I Don't Download Torrents Much.

last Two months I didn't download even a Single Torrent.

As I seen on one of Saman's Previous Post, I think those Fools Don't use Advance Routers, Because those Fools are So Cheap. :x I think Saman Will Agree with me

try this one to download

I get normal Speed for this file. Around 50KB/s
http://ftp22.nero.com/Nero10/79a1617ac1 ... _trial.exe

But for this :x

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... pu-511.iso

I get only 6KB/s I am Getting So many Words into my Mind but I won't say those :x I get angry very Quickly

These Donkeys are not replying to My Emails Either :x Calling is Useless, I Posted about it before in ROBOT.LK

SLT have only Big Talks No Enough Works :x
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:33 pm

It is kind of hard to blame it all on SLT. Being an Island, Sri Lanka needs to connect to other land mass via submarine cables. Satellite connections are not that good for (near) real-time data communication as Round Trip Time is high. Laying out those cables and maintaining them are very expensive as I know. As Sri Lanka is not owning her own fiber optical links, we are having to rely on shared bandwidth. If you could pay more cash to SLT, they will provide you with better connections(Like my sis, pay for her unlimited cable broadband(10Mbps/1Mbps) about 8000LKR per month. but thats not in sri lanka.. :mrgreen: ).

SLT works very well for me after 12AM. I downloaded a file(100MB) from IVT (bluesoleil) web site at 59KB/s this morning. And another 9MB file from rapidshare at about 58KB/s. I downloaded these files at about 5AM today.

The best thing you could do is finding alternative file hosting mirrors. For example, if you want to download Ubuntu, Kubuntu or whateverbuntu( 8-) ), you could use the schoolnet's FOSS mirror. You will get rock solid 59KB/s from local servers.

It is mostly better if you could find mirrors from Japan, Singapore etc. Those links seems to be of less congestion. And low ping too. (Under 200ms to japan as I remember)

Return to “General Discussions”