SLT ADSL

General Discussions
Nipuna

SLT ADSL

Post by Nipuna » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:14 pm

There is a Problem with SLT ADSL. It is too Slow. This is Not Only for Me so Many Elakiri Users Have this.

I get Browsing Speed 512kbps. But I get 47KB as Kilo Bites. For Drirect Downloads without IDM i get only 6 or 7KB. As Kilo Bytes. Same for some files that download via IDM
i got 55 or 60 Before.

Here is my Speed test Result.

Do you Have this Problem and Do you Know any Reason for this. I Complained to SLT they told they will send some one to check. But This is a Common Problem

Is this Damn Government Eat That Too? Go To Hell this Damn Government. Don't try to Say Good things about the Government it SUCKS and all the things related to Politics SUCK

Thanks
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SLT ADSL

Post by Saman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 pm

I have a 2Mbps line and my results are as below.

Download:
1.77 Mbps = 1.77 x 1000 Kbps = 1770 Kbps = 221.25 KB/s
Which should be 2 Mbps = 250 KB/s (quite close)

Upload:
0.35 Mbps = 0.35 x 1000 Kbps = 350 Kpbs = 43.75 KB/s
Which should be 512 Kbps = 64 KB/s (quite close)

In you case also, I see the figures are quite fare.
Download:
0.45 Mbps = 0.45 x 1000 Kbps = 450 Kbps = 56.25 KB/s
Which should be 512 Kbps = 64 KB/s (quite close)

Upload:
0.09 Mbps = 0.09 x 1000 Kbps = 90 Kpbs = 11.25 KB/s
Which should be 128 Kbps = 16 KB/s (quite close)
For Drirect Downloads without IDM i get only 6 or 7KB. As Kilo Bytes. Same for some files that download via IDM
You will have to understand the download speed is affected by many factors. Some of them are as below.
1. Your download bandwidth
2. Server's uplink
3. Server's load
4. Controlled bandwidth to you (When you use sharing sites without registration, you will experience this issue)
i got 55 or 60 Before.
Some sharing sites has reduced their bandwidth for unregistered users recently.

I found a problem in two internet connections I have. May be it is related to this problem.

Airtel and SLT ADSL IP's I get are almost always blacklisted by Spamhous already. This means some mad users are using these shared lines to send spam, etc... that increases the server load. When it comes to Airtel, the connections are almost inaccessible at night.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm

I downloaded two Video files from ITN I get only 5 or 7 KB. per a second.

What a Shit.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Nipuna,

ROBOT.LK is not a place to talk about politics. We better keep those things completely out of technical discussions. If you have a problem with SLT, blame them or you can switch to another ISP. Don't talk about things that you don't know.

However since you talk about things, let me tell you something. This government is doing very well in terms of technology development in the country. Even the Bill Gates is now supporting quite a lot on improving IT education in local universities. More than everything, the President has stopped the deadly war which destroyed our country for many decades.

Another question.. have you been able to use more speeder connection at the time of UNP? If so, you are a bloody fool. I use internet since the day it came to SL. It was a private company called Lanka Internet which took internet to Sri Lanka. Those days it was too expensive. Rs. 5000 per month for a dial-up connection from them. Later on, SLT introduced dial-up for Rs. 3000 and many more expensive options like ISDN, etc... Even with those connections, the download speed was not more than 4 - 6 KB/s.

ADSL was introduced to our area in the year 2006 and I was one of the first customers. So you can see, it was this government which took ADSL to Sri Lanka. Government would have only given ADSL to Colombo since all profit centres that bring revenue from IT are located in Colombo and suburbs. But they did given ADSL to almost everywhere now since they have a vision. They aim to provide internet to rural areas for you people as much as possible because of that. The government believes that you people will also join the IT work force one day and work together for the development of this country.

Since you seems lacking knowledge, let me explain you something. ADSL is a shared link. When it says 512 Kbps, it is not that you get 512 Kbps. It is that you are sharing a link of 512 Kbps which is given to many users. If you want a dedicated 512 Kbps line, you call them and they will give you (Everywhere in the world dedicated internet is very expensive). You are going on a bus and expecting the luxury of a Mercedes :) .

Blaming the government for everything shows that you are a complete political fool. Don't talk things that you don't know specially when it comes to things that previous governments done to IT. They did nothing.

If you didn't read Server properties that affects download speed in previous post, what's the point you blame the government. You download this http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86-ENU.exe and report the speed here. This will prove us what you are doing with your internet connection.

(With my 512 Kbps SLT ADSL line, it came in 58.75 KB/s. That is 470 Kbps. If you expect more than this AGAIN you are fool. Read more and try to learn without showing that you are a dumb idiot who blames the government for nothing).
Is this Damn Government Eat That Too? Go To Hell this Damn Government. Don't try to Say Good things about the Government it SUCKS and all the things related to Politics SUCK
Now you understand the danger in talking without knowledge?
What a Shit.
Don't use such words here again, since educated people here won't like to listen such foolish things from a small boy like you except trying to help you to sort out your technical matters.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:02 am

Sorry For Blaming Government

I know This Government did a Great Work by Stopping the war.
I blamed them because Part of SLT is owned by Government.

I got angry because I hate Politics and

There is a reason for this Angry it is

ADSL worked well but Suddenly it started to Slow. I got speed like yours. 58KB or 50KB. I am Happy with it but 5KB or 6KB is not enough we are paying for 58KB or 50KB but they give only 6 or 8.

Let's see few days then I will talk SLT again.
If they have a Problem they must Correct this. This stared a week ago.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:50 pm

You didn't read my post :twisted:
If you didn't read Server properties that affects download speed in previous post, what's the point you blame the government. You download this http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86-ENU.exe and report the speed here.
Download the above file from Microsoft and report the speed to ROBOT.LK.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

opppppss.. political fight again :lol:
We at ROBOT.LK, speak a universal language of science & technology. We need to completely keep ourselves out of politics here.

Nipuna,
I also believe SLT links are the best in the island. Internet is coming through a transoceanic (under sea) fibre optic and if there is any problem, the speed of all broadband carriers will drop. I'm also pretty curious to know the download speed of that Microsoft link. Can you download it with and without download manager and let us know the speed.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Saman wrote:You didn't read my post :twisted:
If you didn't read Server properties that affects download speed in previous post, what's the point you blame the government. You download this http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86-ENU.exe and report the speed here.
Download the above file from Microsoft and report the speed to ROBOT.LK.
I Did read it. How can i download 300MB file in 5 or 8 KB per second?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:53 am

No need to download the complete file. Just give it a start and see the download speed for a minute or so. Since the server is good, you can get the exact figure on your connection. If you didn't understand that...ohh man...
Rksk
Major
Major

Post by Rksk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 pm

OH!
speedtest.net cheates me!
there ist the result for my mobited 2G connection.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Return to “General Discussions”