SLT ADSL

General Discussions
Nipuna

Re: SLT ADSL

Post by Nipuna » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 am

Yes friend. I tried on those times and I have same Speed at all the day no change. Slow :x

Complain TRC they will check.

SLT can't do such works to customers, We pay for Unlimited they don't give Unlimited.

TRC is Checking about this, You Should complain soon too.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 am

Permanently slow down a connection is illegal. Immediately go to TRC and complain the problem with the name of that officer + voice recording if possible. Those people should be punished for talking nonsense. She forgot that she is just an employee who eats from your money. All government officers whom I met think as this. They think they own the property.

There is a clear problem of bandwidth requirement to Sri Lanka. Those data links are very expensive. In that case, it is fair enough to reduce speed for heavy users per month (billing cycle) basis. This is called FUP (Fair User Policy). But permanently is unacceptable. It's like they are planning to steel your money.

Not only that. Sri Lanka pays highest internet bills & electricity bills at the moment. I'm sure the government is trying every possibility to sort out the electricity matter. However they should consider internet too since it affects the development of the nation.

SLT should be 100% privatised. Then we can complain to their top guy who will immediately take action for unsatisfying a customer. Otherwise we will have to go to a political head where he/she mostly doesn't know the subject or have any interest to listen to your problem.

Lucky we have TRC & a nice man on the top seat. If TRC wasn't there, think what these guys would do to us?. Please complain this matter to him so he will apparently inform this to H.E. President as well.
SevenZero
Major
Major

Post by SevenZero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 am

I don't agree on some points. It can be that they track down the contents that users download. They can easily analyse whether they use it to watch films/TV/download crack software, etc... which disrupt the other standard users who use the link on educational purposes like reading wikipedia, learn programming, etc...

Since ADSL is a shared link, I'm sure those heavy users should be permanently banned or permanently reduce speed as they did. Otherwise those heavy users eat standard user's money by slowing down the ADSL link to them. Heavy users should be forced to buy a dedicated link.

The wrong thing here is, SLT should clearly state what limits they have so that the users can control themselves. Say if they exceed the limit for few consecutive months, then they should be permanently banned from ADSL and forced to Dedicated link. So everybody knows what happens. Doing it blind is not good.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am

Lots of arguments are going on.... :)

Okay, I think the best thing is to ask our members on what purpose they use the internet connection (only the guys who use a shared link). What they usually download and what's normal usage per month.

I use it for lots of browsing and sometimes to download trial software. I don't download pirated stuff or films from shared servers or torrents. My maximum usage per month isn't exceeding 1GB (I think it should be far more less than that).

Let see what others have to say. Based on that, we can discuss the possibilities on moving to a dedicated link.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 am

I mostly do is Browsing. Some times I download Some Stuffs. But I don't exceed even 4GB per a Month.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:20 am

4GB ?
I'm sure you are 90% in to downloading part. Even if you browse the net 24/7/365 you can't reach 4GB :lol:

Let's see what others have to say....
SevenZero
Major
Major

Post by SevenZero » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am

Okay, I think the best thing is to ask our members on what purpose they use the internet connection
Really a good idea...

I mostly do browsing and see online videos from youtube. My monthly usage is around 1GB.
But I don't exceed even 4GB per a Month.
Nipuna, you are using the link for downloading purposes for sure. Otherwise you can't reach that much over the 512 Kbps link. Since ADSL is a shared link, it is the other people who share the same link in your area pay your bill :lol: (which is unfair).

I think heavy downloaders need a dedicated link so only you pay your bill. See the tariff for a dedicated 512 Kbps link. In shared links as ADSL, what they do is they share the link among few people so they earn the same amount from all of them. So to earn LKR 160,000, they should give this link to about 160 people. When you do heavy downloads, then 159 people can't access the internet faster because of you. In other words, they pay the bill for you. This is where FUP comes in to play and reduce your link speed so that other users also can browse with a considerable speed.

All I can say is, if you are using ADSL for non-learning or non-earning purposes, then you not only waste your time & money, you waste country's money too.
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 am

All I can say is, if you are using ADSL for non-learning or non-earning purposes, then you not only waste your time & money, you waste country's money too.
SevenZero, I completely agree with this. Non-learning and non-earning is a waste for the country.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

You Misunderstood Me Friends.

I told I don't exceed 4GB because I don't have a data counter to Measure the extract amount.

I mostly Browse and Don't download Much

Past 2 months I even didn't download a Single torrent.

But I have to say something, I downloaded around 6GB at the first month that I changed to the Home Package then didn't download Much. I rarely download films. I changed to Home Package in September 2009. And I only downloaded 2 films until now. They all are around 700MB. But the in first month I downloaded all the software and Games I wanted that's why it took Higher amount. I can remember one game was 4GB. Then I realized this is some thing that cost Time So I stopped downloading Games. And I am Downloading Small Cartoons two or one per a day which is around 35MB.

If i remember how many torrents I downloaded. According to my Memory. I can say around 20. But only 2 are films the others are Little software around 50MB or less. And One is a 4GB game.

I don't know will you Believe me or not. But i don't have a way to Prove it because even SLT Usage meter doesn't count unlimited packages usages.

TRC is doing Great work and Called me today. And They used my User-name and Password to Test with their Computers. They told me that They get full speed for torrents and don't get good speed for the 10mb.test file. They told me they get same speed as mine.

Also told me they will try to correct this in a month. And told me they must do some thing for this that fair to people.
They told me they have five ways to do this. one is reduce or stop torrents and the other is to set a limit to 20GB. I told them i don't mind if it will be 10GB. They told me for 10GB SLT will definitely Agree but it is not good for People so they will told them to add a limit to 20GB.

Most My Browsings Goes to freelancer works and for educational Stuff, Such as Youtube tutorials.

And told me wait a month they will do something about this. and the SLT has difficulties of giving the correct bandwidth to Home users because of heavy users.

I will wait some more days and Decide to Change to 1500 Home Plus package. It has 8GB limit and TRC told me it would be 10GB in March.

You Guys are thinking I am a Heavy User, But I know some People who Download 30GB to 60GB per a month.And TRC told me about such people too. If you search on elakiri.com you will find out those Guys. I know you Guys don't have time for these works. But trust me I use fairly.

I am Very Upset friends. :( Only Guy Who trusts me is Neo :(
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

No no... it is not that we untrusted you. You are an official here. So, talking against you is nothing else other than risking my membership :lol:

But we just made a warm argument about using the internet connection for useful purposes and unfairness in restricting bandwidth without informing any limit.

BTW: It is good to know that TRC has taken action for your request. As correctly stated, when the top guy is good, it is automatically spread down to office assistant.

Return to “General Discussions”