SLT ADSL

General Discussions
Nipuna

Re: SLT ADSL

Post by Nipuna » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 pm

I get full speed for that file but I don't get more than 6 or 8 for other downloads from other sites. but i got full speed from other sites before. And Browsing is very Slow too. It took about 1 minute to load lankatalk.com and about 50 seconds for Expertcore.

It's much worst for other site. :x

They checked our phone line and It doesn't have a Problem either

What is this? We Pay but We don't get the Service well We Paid. :x
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:25 am

Okay... So you agreed that the file from Microsoft came really fast ;) That really means your link is perfect.

I have two suggestions to be made. I came to this idea since you said our sites are also slow.

Lets change your DNS servers for SLT ADSL connection as below. This affects quite a lot for overall internet performance.

Code: Select all

Primary DNS server: 222.165.160.2
Secondary DNS server: 203.115.0.47
If that doesn't help much, you may provide a link to one of the files that you define as slow to download. So others can try that and report the download speed.

Also Nipuna, you need to learn how to handle technical matters. Before blaming, you need to try everything and blaming/complaining must come as the last option. Even you didn't answer the question correctly. You would have mentioned the speed as X Kbps for the Microsoft file. You need to provide precise facts and figures, otherwise it will become a complete nightmare to analyse your problem in such a long distance.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 am

I used those DNS addresses Now I get 10 to 15 KB

Here is the File I am downloading as a Test. I am downloading this without a Download Manager.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/vpsupd.exe
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:40 am

Good example to show you the problem. Note that I have a 2 Mbps link.

The file from Avast came in 172 KB/s = 1376 Kpbs = 1.4 Mbps.
The file from Microsoft came in 210 KB/s = 1680 Kbps = 1.7 Mbps

Here is another good example. I downloaded same update file from Norton. Note that this is from the same site.
Just one over HTTP and the other from FTP. (I tool those from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Sig ... ions.shtml and tried the first two mirrors).

http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20 ... -v5i32.exe
191 KB/s = 1528 Kbps = 1.5 Mbps

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_u ... -v5i32.exe
91 KB/s = 728 Kbps = 0.7 Mbps (far too slow)

Now you can understand, the server speed (from where you download) is an important factor in your download speed. It can be that you were downloading a file faster before. How if they have reduced the bandwidth now?

It is not possible for SLT to differentiate downloads based on source. Those electronic routers just switch/route packets without any knowledge about the source or destination. In other words, if you get that Microsoft link faster, then your connection is 100% alright. You need to blame the server that reduced the bandwidth to you ;)

There are two other possibilities.
When the server you are downloading files is overloaded with many number of users, the servers control (main servers, routers, layer3 switches, etc..) uses load balancing techniques. Most of these are done automatically by intelligent hardware devices. So if the server is overloaded with many number of users, your download link will be intentionally slows down by that end.

When you buy an internet server, you are assigned with a monthly bandwidth. Say 1500 GB/month. If this is exceeded, then the server control uses techniques to reduce the bandwidth which affects the users who download from those servers. In simple terms, those servers are going almost inaccessible where the owners should buy more bandwidth to sort out the problem.

Okay...so you are more and more clear on the problem.

Windows 7
I remember you installed Win 7 recently. Have you done the below modifications already. Can you find how to do those under Windows 7 and confirm those exists in Windows 7 too. Also, add a post to confirm that under those posts.
https://robot.lk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=533
https://robot.lk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1512

Also, there is a huge argument about the slow download speed under Windows 7.
Few suggessions from those are below.
  1. Type this in command prompt and see whether your internet download speed improves.

Code: Select all

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    Ref: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... c85432d05f
  2. Upgrade the firmware of your router to the latest version.
    Ref: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... a2492907a8
  3. Another suggestion is to disable RDC.
    • Click Start – Control Panel – Programs – Turn Windows features on or off
    • Untick Remote Differential Compression and click OK.
    • Restart the computer and you should see an improved performance with copying files.
If this helped, don't forget to add your comments here :)
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 am

I did those Already. But No Luck :(

only DNS solution worked.

Thanks
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh. I forgot to Tell You Buddy

RDC Also Worked. :)

But ADSL SUXXX. I complained them today Too. :x
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 am

SLT ADSL is really slow than it was before, I should say. There is no meaning in checking the link speed with SLT hosted colombo server. :). It always shows the full speed and the lowest ping, because it is local.

But if you check with a server other than Male in Maldives. See what you get. Here is what I get, this has been happening since about two weeks now. Skype audio call quality (receiving audio) is very low although the other party I am calling having a 1Mbps up link.

The ping is OK. Upload OK, look at download!. It never goes beyond that for me with any server other than Colombo or male.

Either we are having problems with the undersea cables again ( I remember there was a problem with it in last April) or SLT is limiting my bandwidth!. I have downloaded about 14GB for this month and I won't exceed 16GB for this whole month.

Just finished a speed test with Male server. Frustrating, I use google online applications and it is horrible now.

Oh, look at this now. This could be really cool if all the servers in the world were located in Sri Lanka.

I was hearing some rumors that SLT limits and monitors HEAVY downloaders. Anyway, I wonder what is the limit for bieng a heavy downloader. :?

I really believe that SLT is doing some infrastructure upgrades or having problems with international connectivity. Because it has never been like this before. And I could not find any news about SEA-ME-WE being repaired. :|
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Saman wrote:I have a 2Mbps line and my results are as below.

Download:
1.77 Mbps = 1.77 x 1000 Kbps = 1770 Kbps = 221.25 KB/s
Which should be 2 Mbps = 250 KB/s (quite close)
Operating at 88% efficiency. As far as I know, up to 15% bandwidth of the connection is normally used for error handling and control features. So I don't blame SLT although I get 0.44Mbps on my 512Kbps line. :)
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Sounds like few users are having some trouble. Mobile broadband guys have something call FUP (Fare User Policy) even on their unlimited connections where they slows down the connection speed for heavy users per month basis. So far I haven't heard that SLT guys have implemented such a policy. However they must slow down heavy users. Otherwise ordinary users can't use a cheep shared line as ADSL.

My Airtel broadband has become completely useless at nights. I'm sure some heavy users are consuming the whole bandwidth and ultimately eat my money too. I have complained a few times and finally asked them to implement FUP as soon as possible. It is just a simple router setting so all paid users have a chance to browse in a fare speed. F*** damn heavy users ;)

I have used following carriers in my 15 years of internet usage in Sri Lanka.
Lanka Internet dial-up
Eureka dial-up
SLT dial-up
Suntel dial-up
SLT ADSL
Dialog WiMAX Broadband

Dialog mobile broadband
Mobitel mobile broadband
Airtel mobile broadband

Out of all these SLT ADSL is the best (I do agree there were some ups and downs due to technical issues).
Out of all mobile broadband connections, Mobitel was the best. However I switched to Airtel since it's the cheapest.
I'm neither a SLT fan nor I do any marketing for them. I'm just a fed up user who lost millions of money for useless connections.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:19 pm

I am Not a Heavy User Either. I downloaded 10 GB first month when I got ADSL Unlimited. after that I don't exceed even 5GB.
But This Damn SLT Reduced my Bandwidth too. :x

Return to “General Discussions”