SLT ADSL

General Discussions
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SLT ADSL

Post by Saman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Users who download more than 4GB are considered heavy users by local internet companies.
Heavy users are users who download mostly pirate software from torrents and sharing sites.
In simple terms you are a heavy user :lol:
5GB... are you on the internet all the time downloading things ? Anyway, if so, you better go for the 2 Mbps office connection. 512 Kbps one is for home users who do browsing/email/youtube/facebook type of simple things.

The main problem here is the dedicated lines are too expensive in Sri Lanka. Due to this all users including people like you use the line made for home users.

Lets hope SLT will buy more bandwidth from the SEA-ME-WE (transoceanic fibre optic link).
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:48 pm

5GB shouldn't be a problem at all. I also think that SLT should introduce FUP to their packages. I like if it is something like with a limit of 20GB for 512Kbps/128Kbps connection. :mrgreen:

I saw SLT's new ADSL packages. 1Mbps/256Kbps 7GB limited connection is 2000LKR and NO CONTENTION (as for their advertising). Sounds sweet. But this unlimited connection suits me the best even with its 40:1 contention.
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Saman wrote:Users who download more than 4GB are considered heavy users by local internet companies.
Heavy users are users who download mostly pirate software from torrents and sharing sites.
In simple terms you are a heavy user :lol:
Honestly, I downloaded a pirated copy of 6.2GB Game. :oops: , And some TV series episodes which I can't watch in local channels. (A download of 350MB is running at the moment. :mrgreen: )

It's OK to limit heavy downloaders. That should be done for the sake of the other normal users. But users should be informed about those limits. If we had local stores for selling Authentic Game copies, I would really buy that Game I downloaded for money because I love that fallout series and want to show my support for the developers.

Anyway I hope that this will go away in time. I don't mind my downloads running slow as long as VoIP and web browsing is fine.
Last edited by Herath on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm

I am Not always Downloading I Almost Do Is Browsing. Then You will say I had to Buy Entree Package. I bought it before And It wasn't enough for my Browsings So I bought this One.

I am Online almost all the Day. But Mostly Browsing. I download If I want it Badly.

This DAMN SLT Blocked me too. I am Going to Blame them after waiting 3 or 4 days. :x
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 am

Seems like the problem is no more. Time is 2AM, this could be due to low congestion

Check out the speedtests. :D

Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 am

Mine is a bit slower...

RAT16F88
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RAT16F88 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 pm

512kbit/s :( :( :(
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:33 am

0.44 Mbps = 440 Kbps (on a 512 Kbps line)
0.10 Mbps = 100 Kbps (on a 128 Kbps line)

So the ratios are quite okay for the line. The problem in not this. Nipuna was experiencing an issue when he surfs the net, at some point, the line speed was going far more down where surfing became almost impossible.

Lets wait for his feedback. It seems like he had a specific issue due to heavy downloads :)
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks for Waiting for my Reply :)

But I am Saying again I am Not a Heavy Downloader. I did download more than 4GB at the first time I Got my Unlimited Connection.
After that I think i didn't exceed even 4GB. Because I only surfed.

I don't know what is this Problem.

I saw That Some Elakiri Guys says that they are downloading more than 30GB per month.

But I don't have such things to download that much.

Friends can't you think any Reason For this?
Some times it took so much time to load a Page. And Direct Downloads from sites almost impossible because I get only 5 or 8 KB. If i say this in Bits. I get about 56kbps. But i can download in full speed from the Microsoft link you gave me.
But the Others are very slow.

I head so many Stories about this.

Some people say that "SLT is going to Close Unlimited Connections"
Some people say that "They are trying to Move Us to their New Limited ADSL packages. "
Some people say that " TRC told SLT to Do it"

Can't we complain to TRC about this? Or are there any Solution rather than Moving to other Packages or Other Providers Connections?

Thanks
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:47 am

T** <-- a set of crazy heads. Just another black patch to our country. They retarded the development of our country for the past many years. It consists of 99.9% failed researchers who eaten up country's money by stating various projects. All governments spent such a lot of money for projects but ultimately all money gone wasted. Have you seen a product invented by local guys with Made in Sri Lanka seal? Nothing....
This is the reason why all intelligent guys are moving abroad. If the government truly needs to keep intelligent people, they should identify these failures and send them home.

For example, the regulations they created for importing electronic components are crazy (It is 100% acceptable the restrictions the defence ministry had put at the time of war... according to my knowledge all those are removed by now). They completely blocked independent researchers to invent new products. In other words, they made this country a closed place for scientists (They want failed researcher as them). In other words, they don't know that Nipuna like freelancers are trying their best to take $$$ to our country using internet. So how this country be developed? While the situation was this for ordinary men, they have given enough facilities under hand to import completely unsuitable equipments. The one of the directors was remanded due to corruption. These guys need to be beheaded for wasting people's money which would have been spent for building new houses for poor :twisted:

In simple terms, they should monitor the telecom companies in terms of signal ranges & finances. This is common in everywhere in the world. But given them access to restrict internet bandwidth, electronic equipment, etc... that make a major impact on scientific inventions is just crazy. How do they decide the right of people to do experiments and invent new things :evil:

It is not the politicians we need to point our fingers... it is these crazy heads that dominate government service as their private property. H.E. should put his maximum on winning the war against these terrorists as well. I think this should be given to Hon. Gotabaya who's known to be the only honest, well disciplined & hard working government officer who tries to do everything possible for the motherland.

If I tell you all the things in few word.... DON'T WASTE TIME TO CALL T** (UNLESS YOU ARE A FAILURE AS THEY ARE)

------------------------------

For the problem of your internet connection, can you take one of your friend's computer to your home and see whether it is not a problem of your PC? The other thing I can suggest is to check with Win XP as Win 7 already reported problems with internet speed.

Return to “General Discussions”