How do you start a video game company?

General Discussions
AndyCharles
Corporal
Corporal

How do you start a video game company?

Post by AndyCharles » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey friends,

I want to start a video game company, but I need to know what kind people to rent, the software needed, what is the best software, what type of computer is best for creating video games, what programing language do the people I will hire need to know , Wheres a good location in the U.S. Western states where I can have are video game company,

Thanks
Andy charles
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Re: How do you start a video game company?

Post by SemiconductorCat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:02 pm

everybody who did a general computer science /Engineering degree have at least done a one module related
to computer graphics, and most of them at least familiar with one Graphics pipeline. Either OpenGL/DirectX.

But real industry game programmer is much more experienced and have a gap of experience than just another
computer engineering freshener just outed from the university.

Today there are easy technologies like Microsoft XNA that you can shift working games within couple of months.

There are free and open source game engines available to you. Some are free ,but they are in the professional
grade. Such as Cryengine. http://mycryengine.com/ students can download it now.

Games to mobil computing environment are quite different from desktop computing/game console world.
But the mathematical and basic computer graphics skills are same in both.

Before you hire ppl , I think you have to know decide what technology I'm going to use. What is the
target computing platform ? what game engine and tools you'll be using? what kind of programming languages
compilers and debuggers available in that platform? what kind of graphics/modeling software [such as :3dMax,
blender,..] you going to use.

Roughly ,to develop a simple game with Cryengine ,better language is C++/C.Experienced Coding/Debugging/
code Reviewing experience,maintaining a large project. Probably 5yrs experienced as a C++ programmer have that.
Still required knowledge and experience of deep 3D pipeline and math behind it.Most important is experience.
[which is something I don't have :( ] but in the case of math almost all cs degree holders are normally good
in it.
Graphics skills and experienced about tools such as blender [my choice], 3D max etc.[Every computer science
degree holder had gone through a Multimedia modules in their degree program , but do not hire just a UoM
fresher but hire somebody who actually have industry experience dealing with multimedia].

You have to be really smarter when you choose ppl. because you offering a job,not a training. For a example
just a in-experienced person may say ,I'm familiar with C/C++ and I have done courses of computer graphics
,3D pipelines and multimedia in the university, But instead real developer will show the passionate about the
technology, such as " In grade of 11 ,I have tried to compile source of my fav game and change it's
character's face to my face. First I have seen codebase is a mess. But keep doing it and concentrating
again and again finally I'd able to do it" , and do not hire ppl who just memorize the API's/show wire frame button in blender and who mechanically memorize it. , see list of
projects that they had done in previous time.Open source projects that he contributed, his reputation status of
sourceforge is also a good source of information to judge him for a experienced/not experienced developer. If you feel confident then he can work with you.

Good place to start is inside Sri Lanka. But you have to chose correct ppl. Try to get ppl who are
experienced but not just qualified ,and you won't mess it up.

First decide particular technology, target computing environment, tools you going to use. Then you know
what are the skills you need to hire.

[BTW, I'm still not a experienced developer, I'm want to ramp up my skills and contribute to a project in
sourceforge ,to show my experience. But I replied you with the experience that I had chatting with
professional game developers who are experienced ,and I have done a big research what actually industry
needs , so I could ready myself]
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Hey Andy
I need to know what kind people to rent
When you say video game, I feel like you are going to make games for embedded devices? If you are planning that, you will need electronic engineers and embedded developers in addition to game developers.

If you are targeting existing game devices such as Sony PSP, then you have lot of supporting tools to do that. XBOX is another good game platform you can consider which you can get support from DirectX like advance graphic libraries. You will have to find game developers to do that which is easier for such common platforms.

Game developers are a set of software engineers with a fine knowledge in computer graphics & vision, mathematics and physics. You will also need to provide few graphic designers and animators to support them.

One thing for your note. If you are not an experienced game developer, you will need to hire someone who has that. This might be the trickiest bit since if you find the right person, he will guide you through rest of the process.
the software needed, what is the best software
This depends on which game platform you are going to use. For example, DirectX, OpenGL like graphic libraries play a vital role in PC game development. For video games, you will not be able to run them on those small devices. So you will have to decide which platform you are going to use first.
what type of computer is best for creating video games
Apple Macs are considered very good for graphics. However, Intels are also used nowadays due to cost factors. For video games, I think Intels are more than enough.
what programing language do the people I will hire need to know
It all depends on the platform again. But it would be mostly C++ (If Mac Objective C). If Android, Java can be used which has quite a lot of support for game development on embedded platforms.

Just give them a good paper to cover their theoretical knowledge and let them write some quick things to check their practical skills. That's the standard practice.
Wheres a good location in the U.S. Western states where I can have are video game company,
Silicon Valley would be the best match for you in west. Cheap office space, cheap infra-structure would support you especially at the beginning of your business. If you have a good project plan, you'll be able to get a good loan without any problem. Later on you can consider Sandun's idea on expanding your business offshore.

Sandun's idea is also good. When you are doing good, you can outsource your business. You'll be able to find fantastic talents from Sri Lanka which is now one of the best destinations for investing.
SemiconductorCat
Major
Major

Post by SemiconductorCat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:01 am

Apple Macs are considered very good for graphics. However, Intels are also used nowadays due to cost factors. For video games, I think Intels are more than enough.
I've taught that gaming consoles are the best hardware for gaming. Am I wrong?
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 am

I've taught that gaming consoles are the best hardware for gaming. Am I wrong?
For playing games, gaming consoles are good due to that fact that those are optimised for playing games. However when it comes to making games, the first thing we need to decide is the target hardware. If it is PCs, then it's about deciding between Macs, Windows, Linux, Intel, PowerPC, etc... Mac is used by some popular gaming and animation studios due to its marvellous ability on graphics. UCSC has a R&D laboratory fully powered by Apple Macs. They use them for R&D and production of videos, animation, gaming, etc.. as well. The famous Sigiriya animation was created by using them. Some of the interesting research based projects are also going on. Linux clusters are used for large scale rendering due to the fact that most of the rendering in video industry is done with software rendering. If it is Sony PSP or XBOX type consoles, then we will have to address them in a different way. If it is 'video games' on dedicated devices, then as I said before, we will have to start from hardware designing, 3D modelling of case, etc....

Without going too far, first thing to do is, decide the platform (both software and target hardware). From there onwards, we can discuss further.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 am

Return to “General Discussions”