How to start programming?

Topics on common programming languages
LittleJohn

How to start programming?

Post by LittleJohn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I need some help to start application programming. Also would like to know how to select a programming language for a beginner.

Thanks in Advance,

John
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to start programming?

Post by Neo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 pm

I have experience in programming for about 19 years now and I started computing when I was 11 with a Sinclair Spectrum like most of the guys in the good old era. So I thought I better give some help to get you started.
  • RULE 1: Programming is a passion. You must love to sit in front of a computer long hours ( sometimes I did 20 hours a day :) ). When you love your computer, it will let you learn how to code it :D

• RULE 2: You must learn programming concepts first. "Concepts of Programming Languages - Sebesta" is a good book. It explains you the structures used in coding, so you can use any language you want as appropriate for different applications without fear. Learn some object oriented coding concepts.

• RULE 3: Learn Data Structures & Algorithms
    These are the building blocks of programming. Stacks, Queus, Trees, Link lists, etc... Choose a book with reference to C/C++.

• RULE 4: Learn C/C++. Both are almost same (Don't worry about the differences for now. Just learn C).
    Start with the following code.

#include <stdio.h>

void main(){

printf ("Hello World!\n");
    return;
    }

Don't get this small code simple. All genius coders started with this including Bill Gates.

• RULE 5: Learn Assembly Programming at least to some extent
    Without knowledge in assembly, I don't employ any programmer in my organization. The reason is simple. People with a knowledge in ASM coding knows how computers are working. Others are just writing high level codes without knowing how they are converted to ASM at the end to make the electronic components of the computer to understand.
Remember coding is easy. But to put things right you must catch the concepts perfectly which is also easy. Only thing is you need to follow one step at a time. Don't try to learn everything at once. Believe me, I still learn even after a BS and many years of experience. There is no end for learning. (The day you realize you are a programming genius, that's the end of your programming carrier :) )

Also, when you learn the concepts right with C language, you can switch to C#, VB.Net, C++.Net, Java, Delphi, Ada or any other programming language quite easily.

I must tell you that I personally don't like Java for Applications. It is extremely slow as it has to pass through another layer called Java Virtual Machine which makes Java platform independent. I don't believe in Java platform independence as C/C++ performs a far more better role with cross compilers for almost all platforms in the world. In simple terms your C code will run under all common operating systems with simple porting.

However Java is essential for Web Programming. Javascript, JSP, AJAX all based on the principles of Java.

I think I have written a complete article which will give your a perfect start. (This is the way I have started and end up as a professional programmer, Tech lead and a CEO)

Good luck!
Face
Major
Major

Post by Face » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Nice post NEO.
I read It all.NIPUNA gave me the link to this.
I will start my career from 0--->infinity.(May be I fail,anyway I will try)
miteshaegis

Post by miteshaegis » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Very nice post, i also would like to programming. I am programmer. I was start to learn with c language, its basic language.
khkfhg

Post by khkfhg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, very nice post. Learned a lot.
evangilbort
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by evangilbort » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 pm

If you want to learn a programming you can use any language tutorial available on the internet and also we watch the video tutorial. This is the best idea to learn programming and we can practices different languages.
Phonefix
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Phonefix » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 pm

It's all about one unexpected thing. I learned it early on in my programming career when I was interning at Microsoft.

Return to “.Net & Other Programming”