Visual Studio.net

Topics on common programming languages
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Visual Studio.net

Post by Neo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 am

You can do that. Let me explain a bit.

Say you are going to make a button. First you will have to define the size, 3D shape, caption in the middle, mouse movements, 3D effects for hovering and click, etc.... You will have to use a Graphic Library (Windows uses GDI) for drawing lines, 3D shapes, etc... Also, people use different sizes of buttons, captions, etc... so it should be modularized where people can customise as required. This is just a button I talked about. How many controls you need to code yourself. Labels, Text boxes, list boxes, combo boxes, etc....

To create your own control set will take years of hard work I'm sure. So the question is why do you spend such a long time which you already have such controls free of charge. When you use a framework like wxWidgets, you can concentrate on coding the core of your program rather than wasting time for things that are already available (mostly free).

Why wxWidgets?
If you use Visual Studio, these controls are available to drag and drop. Say you need to run a program that you have created on Windows on Linux... The button drawing codes are not the same on Windows and Linux. So you will have to spend considerable time of replacing buttons, text boxes, etc... on Linux and then compile it. That's is where wxWidgets comes to help. If you use wxWidgets to create a button, then it will handle operating systems differences by its libraries. On Windows, it will call Windows button routines and on Linux it will call Linux button routines. If you use a development platform like Dev C++ with wxWidgets, that means your application will work on Windows, Linux and Mac OS just by a simple recompilation.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks Neo Now I Get It. :)

But I asked that Because I am Still a Learner so I like to make simple GUI components to Gain my Knowledge. :D

After I learn Basic then I will make very very Simple GUI components. After That I will use tools like this to make Big GUI Components.

By The Way Thanks Neo, Now I have a Clear Idea. Before this I thought we can't make GUI Components without additional Software. :D

Thanks
Mysoogal
Captain
Captain

Post by Mysoogal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:34 am

python works on windows and Linux, its also possible to make GUI apps, read here http://www.wxpython.org/ but i think you better first learn C++ like neo said when you understand the basic C++ and structure of C++ all other languages seem similar
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks Budies you all Encourage me very well. I feel So happy Now. Because I am getting Bit by Bit of C++ now. Then I can Learn the other Languages well as you said so I am Very Happy.

Thanks a Lot buddies :D
LeeShane
Corporal
Corporal

Post by LeeShane » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft.
Visual Studio supports different programming languages by means of language services, which allow the code editor and debugger to support (to varying degrees) nearly any programming language, provided a language-specific service exists.
Built-in languages include C/C++ (via Visual C++), VB.NET (via Visual Basic .NET), C# (via Visual C#).
so Visual Studio .NET is a complete set of development:Visual Basic .NET, Visual C++ .NET, Visual C# .NET, and Visual J# .NET all use the same integrated development environment (IDE).

-------------------------
<link removed>
Last edited by Neo on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed by admin
Enigma
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Enigma » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Neo wrote:You can do that. Let me explain a bit.

Say you are going to make a button. First you will have to define the size, 3D shape, caption in the middle, mouse movements, 3D effects for hovering and click, etc.... You will have to use a Graphic Library (Windows uses GDI) for drawing lines, 3D shapes, etc... Also, people use different sizes of buttons, captions, etc... so it should be modularized where people can customise as required. This is just a button I talked about. How many controls you need to code yourself. Labels, Text boxes, list boxes, combo boxes, etc....

To create your own control set will take years of hard work I'm sure. So the question is why do you spend such a long time which you already have such controls free of charge. When you use a framework like wxWidgets, you can concentrate on coding the core of your program rather than wasting time for things that are already available (mostly free).

Why wxWidgets?
If you use Visual Studio, these controls are available to drag and drop. Say you need to run a program that you have created on Windows on Linux... The button drawing codes are not the same on Windows and Linux. So you will have to spend considerable time of replacing buttons, text boxes, etc... on Linux and then compile it. That's is where wxWidgets comes to help. If you use wxWidgets to create a button, then it will handle operating systems differences by its libraries. On Windows, it will call Windows button routines and on Linux it will call Linux button routines. If you use a development platform like Dev C++ with wxWidgets, that means your application will work on Windows, Linux and Mac OS just by a simple recompilation.
Wow Neo nicely explained. All those years I used direct API calls to build GUI apps using C/C++ (windows based). But with your explanation I think I must use the wxWidgets. Thanks for the info :)
Mysoogal
Captain
Captain

Post by Mysoogal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:14 pm

just to let you know there are other GUI frameworks, and qt has extension for python http://www.pyside.org/

there is also http://www.pygtk.org/

if you can code in both python,C++,qt,wx,pygtk

you be earning 79,000 dollar per year that is the standard earnings i believe for python coders
evangilbort
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by evangilbort » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 am

That's a good idea i can say python is a really good for the developing and i also use this language for developing purpose.

Return to “.Net & Other Programming”