What are the Features That Mac has than Windows and Linux?

Mac OS Topics
Nipuna

What are the Features That Mac has than Windows and Linux?

Post by Nipuna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Just Curious.

What are the Features That Mac has than Windows and Linux? I only Know that Mac has a Beautiful Interface :) And Very recently they gave Support for Windows Programs to work on Mac. I don't know about this Very well. I saw this on a Vijaya Pariganaka Magazine some months ago.

Thanks
Herath
Major
Major

Re: What are the Features That Mac has than Windows and Linux?

Post by Herath » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Believe me, it is designed for people who does not even know how to install a program or a device driver on their computer. :lol:
You might be able to build a hakintosh if your hardware supports it. I tried it on my laptop. Everything works fine, except that I can't get the graphic card to run in native resolution of the LCD. There is no proper kernel module available for that.
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Ahh. OK

I knew that there are less programs and less Drivers for Mac. I couldn't tell that before :)
Ageek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ageek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Mac is not designed to work on the assembled devices such as laptops, desktop PC. :D :lol: . And even person who using hakintosh cann't give any comment about Macintosh.

ADVICE:
"Without knowing about everything it is better not to put your own comments or bad experience to the forum like this. This forum is to discus the teki things as i guess"

Note
This comment is not to discourage your comment, but to understand the purpose

MY Point of View (POV)
Since i have the advance knowledge of working all Windows, Linux as well as Mac it is hard to believe the above comment. Lets discuss this further in this forum.

Back in the real problem

Apple Mac is only perform well with the dedicated hardware. That is why Mac OSX doesn't distribute as a seperate sofwaer (OS). When u purchase a Mac, the OSX is installed freely, it is not like windows :lol:.

Eventhough, if u install Windows to a Mac using bootcamp you can see how it perform. This is not bluffing, we have used mac for several research projects and came to this conclusion. This is because Mac is designed such a way to get the max hardware and software performance. As examples i can tell u, even the hard disk in Mac having several sensors to detect the parameters like temp, speed, performance and so on. So u can see installing Hackintosh to a laptop wont give u a good result.

Remember even you can install any linux distro as well.

Architecture of the Mac:

Mac in based on Unix, BSD, which is one of the oldest unix distro. Lets talk about the history little bit FYI. The inception of the Unix (came after minix) at the AT&T Bell lab. This is the inception of the language C as well. Minix and the Earlier version of Unix was written with language called 'B'. Language B was not very powerfull language. So Ken Thompson and the group at AT&T develop C to finish the UNIX. However, they were not allowed to sell this Unix to the market, since AT&T is a telecommunication company. So, AT&T invited universities in US to develop the this OS further. BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) of University of California took this and developed as BSD UNIX distro.

In fact, Mac use the kernel Darwin (which is based on BSD) as the core of the Mac OS which is developed by Apple. So all the feature of UNIX, LINUX are there in the. Especially no viruses, and power full as Linux.

Most of the drivers are compiled to the kernel, you dont even think of installing device drivers. FYI, CUPS which u used to print in linux originally developed by Apple. And furhter, there is nothing call installtion of software or drivers in mac as raised in this forum. You can just copy the folder of your executable and work. So mac doent need to maintain a registry like in windows to maintain the file paths and configuration. Now only others realize the advantages of this. Now you can see many software vendors giving a version call portable versions (like Adobe, etc) which u can copy the folder and work. This ease the troubleshooting as well.

Normally, Mac doent support the third party graphic cards. Since you may see, everything in mac is graphic oriented. As you may know all the typographic algorithm, window concept were introduced by the Apple (by Steve Jobs). So i'm not amazed by hearing that the hackintosh didnt detect the VGA drivers.

With Mac gives you everything to your door step with single installation. Since the time doesn't permit me to write more. I'l talk about this more in near future via this forum. :idea:

Thankx :geek:
Nipuna

Post by Nipuna » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Cool. :)

Thank you Uidtha Sir

But the Problem is If we need to use Mac we Need to buy Mac Computer. :?

By The way Great Explanation and I knew so many things and I knew How much Wrong I was. :)
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Excellent explanation.

Hakintosh is an abbreviation to 'poor man's Mac expereince'. I do agree with you, in terms of performance especially the graphics quality provided by both Mac OS and it's dedicated hardware are unbeatable by any other platform exist today.

However, Mac is not as popular as Windows/Intel combination due to its price. Cheapest Mac costs nearly LKR 100,000+ (US$ 1000). Best Quality is not cheap, no doubt.
Ageek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ageek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Yes you need. or U can try with VirtualBox to install as virtual machine. However, u cannt get the actual feeling of using mac. This same as using hakintosh.

In addition to that, now Mac is not expensive, it is same as a branded PC price. :D

I'l put more articles mean while FYI
Ageek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ageek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm

And FYI,income of Windows + Intel < Apple

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is ... ned-2011-6
Wintel&lt;Apple
Wintel<Apple
Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 3.48.30 PM.png (138.46 KiB) Viewed 14839 times
Herath
Major
Major

Post by Herath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:28 pm

i know what Mac is. Apple is so much rich only because it has a fan base with lots of money to burn. Apple has only fancy stuff. And I would never ever defend a company who would rip off people no matter how old their technology is.

It is not dedicated hardware. Apple has locked down its consumers to its own limited range of hardware. I hope that you are aware that latest Macs run on intel and its graphics cards are provided by AMD.

Aren't you are of SMBus on PC and S.M.A.R.T on HDDs?. It not only Macs that has sensors to detect hard disk performance. It is not a feature of Mac. It is a technology built in to the hard disk. I am accessing temps of my computer and controlling the speeds of the fans inside at my desire without letting the BIOS to do it because they are there. I am not a fan of any OS, but comparing everything together windows is the easiest to run because of its nature. It has many device support from many manufacturers because you do not need the source code of the kernel module to compile the kernel module to match your kernel. Manufacturers does not like to just give away their hard researched technology on a shiny DVD for free. There could be performance penalty of the windows way. But it is way too cheap to own because i can choose what my hardware are going to be.

A branded PC should have possible bottlenecks removed so it can perform the best with the supplied hardware. Expensive macs has RAID, many CPU cores, high quality cooling etc etc which are fine tuned to squeeze the maximum performance. And these things are not an ordinary PC user can afford.

I do not like to talk about the UNIX background of this OS. I accept that it has great graphics, fonts and all the eye candy. And all those jumpy icons and curving windows make me itch.
Talking about Linux, I tried to like it. But can not use it. It does not have a colour management system so my photos would not look one way on the monitor and completely different when printed. Movie watching experience is horrible. This is what an average user wants. Not to run a home server.
UdithaM wrote:
With Mac gives you everything to your door step with single installation.

This what I meant by it is designed for people who does not know how to install a device driver or a program. I think that Mac software are coming on disk images called DMG?. Double click it, installation starts. It is simple, I agree. Loading an ELF file is also not that much hard.

A computer should not be a black box for anyone who would want to use one. Linux is great for people who have all the time in this world to spend on compiling software and kernel modules. tinker with an configuration file with VI when things get horrible and GUI crashes. I have experienced these, and gave up.

So you are an administrator on a uni. Are you aware that a well know inter-uni network main server has a publicly accessible SSH server. I just found it when checking for loopholes. You people might have left it that way, but oooh wait, Brute-force. Does that sound familiar.
(Do not worry I do not want to do such things. But terrorists could exploit it :P)

Apple might have invented things. But I do not give damn, because the way this company acting is ugly. Same goes for Intel :P . Intel was fined by EU, if you are aware for what. Same thing is happening in Sri Lanka, but there is no one in this country to fine Intel.

I did not read this again for typos. So do not go after such things. I do not want to show off my self. But I was kinda hurt by your :lol: s.

PS:
I am not a geek. I do not like to introduce my self as a geek although I love technology. Because I know that there are great people who are wiser than me out there.
http://lk.linkedin.com/pub/uditha-m-de-soysa/7/653/4a9
So this is you. With lot of experience, but still does not know how to treat a young one.

Neo might chase me away. But I do not care. I respect him. He is a real gentleman. You should not get upset with him if I said any bad thing for you. I am sorry.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I feel I have learned quite a lot of things about Mac from this discussion thankful to both UdithaM and Herath. The arguments are so cool and warm. There is no reason for me to involve. I think this is the spirit we need in ROBOT.LK. Keep the respect and argue until we see the right thing.

UdithaM is an experienced person on Macs (who is kinda brain washed with Macs.. May be he is in the marketing payroll under Mr. Steve Jobs :D Are you Uditha?). I think it is because he worked on Macs (including his new laptop.. wow I really like it) for last few years just as he worked on both Linux and Windows. He is obviously an expert with Mac and Linux. I don't know anybody better than him to explain about Mac since he really lives with those beautiful machines.

In the other side, I agree with Herath's argument on cost factor of Mac. When I was starting computing way back in 90's a Mac was more than $5000. That's too much for a 11 year old little guy like me at that time. So my father first bought me a Sinclair Spectrum for a cost of $100 (See the difference). And after about 2 years, my lovely dad bought me my love, THE 386SX (21 MHz, 2MB RAM, 210 MB HD, 1 MB VGA, 3 1/2 Floppy and no Mouse & CD ROM at all). Any guess on the OS? It's a cracked version of MS-DOS 5 :lol: . Later I used MS-DOS 6.22. Windows 3.1 was there but it was too hard to use without a mouse. In 1995, I tried to install Windows 95, but I couldn't due to my machine's configuration. Since my dad wanted me to go ahead, he helped me to upgrade to a Pentium 120Mhz. Then again I used a cracked version of Windows 95. Later moved to Windows 97, 98 and finally to Me (No doubt, all cracked versions). Within this period, I learned Pascal, Turbo C (Later Borland C++), VB, VC, Java, etc... and finally chosen to do a Computer Science degree even the results came for an Engineering degree.

Why the hell I'm telling you all this...

Just because I want to thank Microsoft for keeping their OS crackable for students like me at that time. Thankful to Microsoft I learned all these things without any cost. If Microsoft wasn't there, I might have done Electronics (which was my ambition before exposing to computers). I'm a not a fan of anybody. But you can understand the true reason why I'm thankful specially for Microsoft.

It is true we have lots of options like Linux today. But at that time there wasn't anything other than MS-DOS in Sri Lanka.

If my father had to spend $5000 to get me a Mac, he would have to sell the house to do that (he will do that to educate me). Just because $5000 was really a huge amount at that time.

Anyway it is good to hear that Mac has came down and facing the competition. According to the sales figures, it seems they are achieving lots of success. Well done Steve Jobs. Finally you understood there is something called "3rd World".

My final word....

I NEED TO OWN A Mac NOW :mrgreen:

Return to “Mac OS”