Auction website project (ASP.Net C#)

.NET programming topics
Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Auction website project (ASP.Net C#)

Post by Trebor29 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 am

Hi all,

Im fresh out of graduation and my first project I have set myself is the monumental task of building a reverse auction site!

Has anyone got any advice, apart from dont do it lol, either with regards to possible source code.. and / or recomendations as to what is the best approach: i.e. ASP.Net Website / web application / website with Razor / MVC ??? Im guessing im going to have to get into some jQuery / JS.....

A mobile portal with have to be considered in this day and age, I think net 4.0 renders pages to todays smart phones well, whether I produce mobile specific pages will be considered at a later date... but want to start off with this in mind to avoid problems later.

Also, an affective search tool will be an important requirement...

Your help is always appreciated guys, Thank you!

Laughing

Bring on the head pickling...!
Saman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Auction website project (ASP.Net C#)

Post by Saman » Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 am

There are many auction scripts which can be found free of charge that are written using php/mySql. I have no idea on the advantage you are going to have by inventing the wheel using another metal ;)

I'm not sure whether you understand it or not. But the current world trend is on to Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, etc... like CMS based web development. Nobody starts from scratch which is a waste of time and money.

However, if this is for learning, it can be a good idea. You might start from an existing script and change it as you want.
I just Googled as found following links.
http://www.scripts.com/asp-scripts/auction-software/
http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scri ... /auctions/
http://www.developertutorials.com/scripts/1/52/
Trebor29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Auction website project (ASP.Net C#)

Post by Trebor29 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi Saman, Thanks for those links.. theres some good stuff in those!

I have played around with joomla before and have also seen a ready to go reverse aution script + theme with WordPress, but I have some ideas that may or may not improve the current auction solutions available on the web today... accept maybe ebay!

It essentially the same format but with some small alteration (from the users point, complex from the developers), and the alterations to the WordPress Script + Theme I found... with a developers licence came to nearly $1000!

Also, I found previously that with Joomla's plugin's I was at the mercy of other developers competances and when certain functions decided not to work it reflected bad on me, and also when attempting to fix the issues, I was having to trawl through loads of someone elses code in a language that I wasn't used to.

I thought if I could build one myself: 1) yes it will be a good learning experience and being a new graduate something to show / explain to a potential employer. 2) when porblems occur, I should know exactly where and what needs sorting.

I here you about 'time and money', and I have got to be honest, design is not my strong point... not by a long shot!

I will check out some of those links that you sent and see what I can piece together.

Thank you :D

Return to “.NET Programming”