Sidebar Gadgets, C#, Visual Studio and .NET - Confusion

.NET programming topics
Neofriend
Captain
Captain

Sidebar Gadgets, C#, Visual Studio and .NET - Confusion

Post by Neofriend » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Yes, the topic of gadgets sounds interesting to me. As I have an idea, but with that comes a plethora of confusions.

What's so interesting and why the confusion? Am glad, you asked.

Well, I am making an application in C# with controls such as datagridview (connected to sql database), timers and so on. I'd like to make a gadget that shows mini version of my application on desktop.

Just the simplest stuff, may be showing the same datagridview in sidebar gadget. Is that possible?

Is it possible to access local sql database from gadget and that too made in C# - by the way, I know html, css and javascript too. Or is it possible to use sql from gadget but the gadget needs to be developed in different language.

The clear guidance with broad understandable details would be great, if any one can please share. Thank you.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sidebar Gadgets, C#, Visual Studio and .NET - Confusion

Post by Neo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm

For me, it is always a good example to start with.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/gadgets/LightsOut.aspx

Have a look. If you get any problem while you are working, post your files so I can give you some guidance.
Neofriend
Captain
Captain

Post by Neofriend » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Thank you, I will surely look in to it later today. For now, am stuck in combobox problem. Let me ask the question from a combobox thread.
Neofriend
Captain
Captain

Post by Neofriend » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Ok, I've read the article and saw the working at a glance. Not much difficult but just needs some time I think.

However, what am interested in asking is, Can I connect to sql database from sidebar widget? Can we use .NET controls like datagridview in the gadgets. So far, it sadly feels like not really.

But somehow I feel, there should be some tricky wayout.
Neo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Seems possible... Check this out http://www.codeproject.com/KB/gadgets/d ... adget.aspx
Let me know how it goes.
Neofriend
Captain
Captain

Post by Neofriend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Great. I checked that out already. And I on my own thought that this is possibly the only solution so far after thoroughly searching the net. Thought you would share the same. And you did! :)

But this feels like it would take quite some time and I have a project to submit, guess it won't be possible to quickly do this.

But if I can complete the work and project first, then i'll quickly check this out too. Will surely update you if I make it. :)

Thanks

Return to “.NET Programming”